Chapter 13: The Break-In

I ALMOST JUMPED on the spot as the academy's bell suddenly rang. There was an eerie ding-dong filling the whole campus. Palipat-lipat ang tingin ko sa mga pinto sa aking harapan.

Should I—? I shook my head.

This is not the right time for this.

Not now that the bell had rang and the student councils will be roaming around to see other students skipping classes. Added the fact that everyone will suspect my absence.

I shot a suspicious look at the smallest door and sighed, then I turned around, walking my way out of the eerie place. Bagsak ang balikat ko habang naglalakad pabalik sa aming  silid-aralan. There were students passing by, walking along with me in the same direction. Some of them gave a second to stare at me weirdly while some did not mind at all.

Another step and I reached the familiar door of the Arcane's classroom. My face was blank and stiff as I entered without knocking. Bumungad akin ang mga lukot na mukha ng mga Arcane and two other students at the back. I bet they're the potential members of Arcane, kaya sila nandito. Maliban na lamang kay Shaye na pinilit ko lamang.

"Ms Bilacour." I glanced sideways to see a woman wearing a sour expression while staring at me. Her voice was stiff and sharp. If I'm not mistaken, she's the professor who Boris made out with.

"Be-la-cour," I corrected, making some of the Arcanes chuckle. Elleri glared at me. Napakibit balikat na lamang ako at naglakad patungo sa upuan ko. Nagtama ang paningin namin ni Snow na parang kakarating niya lang din dahil sa pag-angat baba ng balikat niya. She stared at me with furious eyes and I have no idea why.

Ano bang pakialam ko?

"Where have you been?" Shaye whispered.

"Somewhere," I replied. Umupo na ako sa aking pwesto at pinagkrus ang braso.

This is another boring period. Mas mabuti sana kung may makabuluhan akong makukuha sa mga pinagsasabi ng babae sa harap namin. I drummed my fingertips on the table, at isa-isa kong tinitigan ang mga kaklase ko. Everyone was here except for Carwell and Zale. Si Genesis naman nakayuko, halatang natutulog at mukhang walang problema roon si Elleri.

Perks of having good looks.

The world had never been and will never be fair. You have to live with all the uncertainties and the never-ending battles of life itself.

I breathed out a heavy sigh, kaya'y sabay na napalingon sa akin ang halos kalahati ng mga Arcane. Kahit si Elleri ay natigil sa pagdi-discuss.

"May problema ba, Ms Be-la-cour?" She emphasized my last name.

Napairap na lamang ako at umiling. Tumango na lamang ito pero halatang matalim ang paningin sa akin.

"So, as I was saying before this Be-la-cour here, interrupted." She glared at me and as a form of courtesy, I glared back. People should practice 'give and take', you know. She flipped her hair before continuing, "Lex Omnia is the core of Zarsothia. The law of all things, living or dead. Now, is there any of you who can tell me the laws under Lex Omnia?"

Nilibot niya ang tingin sa paligid hanggang dumako ito sa akin. "No one?" She was about to speak, more like to call me, but Rhysan stood up.

"Lex Omnia," she started. Halos sabay na bumaling ang tingin ng ibang Arcane sa kanya, as well as Elleri.

"Yes, Ms Flowel?" She signalled Rhysan to continue.

"There are two major laws under Lex Omnia," she cleared her throat. "Firstly, the Law of Mages, which is where various decrees of humans fall under. Second, the Law of Divines, which states the laws of Deities and Guardians." She suck her chest out and held up her chin as if taking pride of what she had just stated.