Chapter 53: Possessed

My blank stare was fixed on Shaye's figure. She held her sword up. I didn't move. Hinintay ko lamang siya sa susunod niyang gagawin. But the corner of my eyes heated up once more when she laid the sword on the ground instead. Lumuhod siya sa damuhan upang magpantay kami.

Bahagya akong napaatras nang bigla niya akong niyakap. "Sinaktan mo na naman ang sarili mo."

She lifted my chin. Pinagtapat niya ang kaniyang noo sa noo ko, kagaya nang ginawa niya noon. A familiar sense of relief flooded through me. Tila parang bula ring nawala ang mga sugat na nakuha ko mula sa mahigpit na pagkakahawak ng punyal.

Umupo siya sa tabi ko at hinawakan ang magkabila kong kamay. "Pagpasensyahan mo na si Rhysan. She's just doing her job."

Mapakla akong natawa. It's not even Rhysan or anyone else. Nagagalit ako sa sarili ko, sa katangahan ko.

"I wish it's as easy as it sounds."

"Kung sabagay pero Ara, tandaan mo..." she smiled, "naniniwala ako sa 'yo."

"Mali ka ng pinaniniwalaan."

"The white scroll was mine, it was given to me by a childhood friend from Saltwreath." Natigilan ako sa tinuran niya, but her expression didn't change. Malumanay pa rin itong nakangiti. "I was the one who put it in your room."

"How come? You were with me the whole time," kunot-noong tanong ko.

"Nauna akong nakarating sa dormitory kaysa sa inyo. You were preoccupied."

I fell silent. Kung sa kaniya nga ang scroll na iyon, why did she do it? Bakit? Shaye don't know anything about my plans. Wala akong pinagsabihan.

I faked a cough. "So then... why did you do it?"

"Bakit nga ba?"

Binigyan niya ako ng makahulugang tingin, still wearing the same smile. There was no hint of judgement in her eyes.

"You knew?"

Tumango siya.

Muling kumabog ang dibdib ko. I don't know how to react.

"Paano?"

"I know you." Her eyes wandered on the bushes around us. I was left speechless. "And I'm sorry that Atya did that. Sometimes, kids are just too honest, kahit hindi nila naiintindihan kung bakit minsan kailangan nating magsinungaling."

"Shaye..." I tried to move away from her. "You are making the biggest mistake of your life."

You are letting me fool you.

Bakit? Bakit mo 'ko hinahayaang gawin 'to?

"Why would helping an innocent child receive justice be my biggest mistake?"

"Shaye..."

"Do you remember the day I told you about the king's secret? I told you about his murder. I do not know you, Ara, but like you, I was also once a child. I figured it out on my own. You growing up alone in an island called Forthill, your hatred towards the king, your demeanor, your views in life and death." A kind smile escaped her lips. "You resembled a forgotten child deprived of justice."

She's been observing me all along? Kaya pala hindi niya ako tinatantanan.

"Of course my hunch alone isn't enough. Until I saw you having nightmares about your past. About this guy named Paris and your parents' betrayal. Hindi ko alam ang buong katotohanan pero alam kong gusto kong tumulong."

The corners of my eyes heated until tears started falling through my cheeks. Paulit-ulit ko itong pinunasan pero hindi sila maawat.

At last, I can now breathe freely knowing that I no longer need to hide from at least one person I've grown to cherish. Hindi ako nagkamali kay Shaye.