32 | My Comfort

P E A R L

P E A R L

Autumn gave me an apologetic look, and I offered her one back before closing the door behind me. Her voice boomed from the other side of the door as she yelled at Mia.

My heartstrings tugged with pain for Zion. Their words were outrageous, and I couldn't imagine the anger he was feeling after hearing them.

I opened our door and shut it gently behind me.

Zion was rummaging through his duffel bag, looking for something as he placed it on the bed.

"Sit," He gestured to the bed and spoke quietly.

I did as he said and sat beside his duffel bag on the bed.

He brought out a few snacks and placed them beside me, throwing his duffel bag to the nearest wall.

"You're not sleeping on an empty stomach," Zion didn't look at me as he walked around the bed and stood in front of me.

He reached for the chips and opened the packet, handing it to me.

"Pearl," I didn't think I recognised the frustration in his voice. "Please, eat something."

"Okay," I took the small packet from his hand, and he moved away from me when my fingers brushed against his.

His furious demeanour hadn't soothed, and I knew that if I refused, it would fuse into something worse. I didn't want to upset him when he was already hurting.

I leisurely ate the chips he gave me, sitting back against the grey headboard.

He paced around the room before taking a seat on the joined bed beside me.

I didn't think he wanted me to talk. His hands rested below his chest as he rested his head back, glaring at the ceiling. A thumb played with the ring on his left hand. It was my ring. He was using it to calm down.

Waiting out the silence, I finished the small bag of chips. He must've been paying attention because as soon as I lowered the packet, he reached for his duffel bag and pulled out an unopened water bottle.

He handed it to me, keeping his gaze on my hands as I took it from him.

"Thank you," I said as I gulped down a few sips.

"Keep it. I have another one," He grabbed my finished packet and threw it in a bin before walking into the bathroom.

I closed the bottle and set it on a bedside table on the other side of the room.

After he used the bathroom, I went in to wash my hands, cleaning them from the crumbs.

I brushed my teeth and hoped I could talk to Zion one more time before going to sleep.

When I went back into our room, Zion was pulling the covers away from the bed and settling onto the mattress. He rested his head on a pillow he brought from home and laid on his side.