Chapter 9, Eleanor

This is so awkward, what do you say to someone who you don't know? Better yet, what do you say to someone who helped the guy who won't let you leave, all because we are 'mates'.

Adan was quietly walking beside me, in the thirty minutes we've been together, I have noticed a few things about him, just like how when he walks, he matches my pace even when I started to walk faster, when I slowed down so did he, he never walked beside me and always kept the exact distance of two steps from me, I checked when I walked next to him he moved twice and gave me a look.

He's weird, really weird, but then again, he's a werewolf, everything that they are is weird, they are humans turning into wolves, how the hell can it get any weirder than that?

So far he has shown me where the children in the pack go to school, and the training grounds for 'pack warriors', they are fighters who deal with invasions, usually wolves who want what they have.

It's so strange, they are so different but some things are exactly like us humans, being invaded into your home because someone wants what you have is very common in my world, just as it is in theirs. 

"Do you have any questions?" Adan says out of the blue.

I look up from the path in front of me and turn to see he's looking at me. "Yeah." I eventually say.

"Where's the exit?" I ask seriously, catching him by surprise then he frowns at my question.

He sighs and gives me a look of annoyance as he stares at me with his hands in his front pockets. "Don't let Orson hear you ask that." 

I stop walking and glared at him. "Ask what? When I can go home? Are you serious right now!" 

Adan stops and turns to me. "You're his mate, this is none of my business." He simply says, making me, even more, annoyed he's playing guilty.

"You helped him take me!" I snap out. "Is it normal to just kidnap girls just because they're your mates?" I say, glaring at him.

I watch as Adan stills then glares back at me, causing a chill to go down my arms and legs, when he growls I feel myself shake slightly. "The sooner he rejects you the sooner you can go home!" He barks out, clearly that he doesn't want to speak to me anymore as he walks off.

Reject? 

What does he mean by that?

I walk after him. "What do you mean reject?" I ask coming up beside him.

He stills and pales in his face. "Forget I said anything."

There's no way in hell I'm forgetting that or even dropping the subject. "Is it some kind of spell, the mate bond? Can it be broken? Then I can go ho-"

"STOP!" He snaps out, turning to me and sighing out. "Why do you want to go back so bad? You have no family and the family you do have want to kill you, the best choice you have is to stay here and let us protect you, instead, you want to leave and die, so if you want to leave, go, end up like your parents or shut up and do as your told!" He says, his voice hard.

I feel my chest clench at his words. "I have friends." I say quietly. "They will be looking for m-"

Adan snorts loudly. "You mean the friends who haven't even noticed you've disappeared?" He says mockingly, sending a sharp jab to my chest.

That hurt, that really hurt.

Is nobody really looking for me? 

Am I that alone?...

"Look, if you're thinking of hurting Orson do it now before it's too late and you break him, we don't need some weak Luna who cries wolf when things get hard, neither does Orson, he deserves someone who will stick by him, not run away." 

Adan walks away from me and doesn't look back, I don't know how long I stood in that exact spot and replayed what he said through my head, over and over and over again. It wasn't until someone walked up to me and said Adan sent them to escort me back to my room.

His words hurt, a lot. But he wasn't wrong, ever since I've got here I've treated Orson like the enemy, he saved my life and is trying to protect me, and all I want to do is run away from the wolves, just like how I did when I ran away from my mother to go study in hours away from Queensland.

Adan was right, Orson does deserve better.

I can't be what he so clearly wants, someone strong to survive in this world, I couldn't survive in mine so why would he think I can do any better surrounded by supernatural creatures? I'm a runner not a fighter, and Orson is the exact opposite.

He won't want me as a mate.

The wolf who escorted me back to my room turns and leaves and two guards replace him, after shutting the door I walk to the bed and lay down, not bothering to kick my shoes off I stare at the ceiling and sigh out.

The thought of Orson and hurting him makes my chest clench painfully tight and I don't know why or how to deal with that.

He's stubborn and obviously has anger issues, he has a foul mouth and he won't take yes as an answer. But he's also a leader and has clearly kept his people safe from other wolves, people look up to him, I see it in the faces of people I pass that they are happy here, grateful in fact.

Not to mention Orson is really handsome, he's tall and in great shape, any girl would count herself lucky to have a guy like him even speaking to them, girls back home or at college would dream of having Orson kidnap them, he's ticking every single box on the perfect guy.

I just don't know if I'm ready to accept all of this, it's a lot to take in and I don't exactly know anything about Orson, not his favorite color or what he likes to eat, I don't even know his last name is or where he was born if he has any siblings or family at all.

I don't know anything about him or this world.

I'm so confused and lost, I don't know what to do.

I wish my mother was here...

For the first time since her death, I cried.

As tears fall from my eyes as I roll into a ball and let the tears fall from my eyes as I lay on the bed, closing my eyes tightly. The image of my mother and father laughing comes to mind and it feels like the memory only happened yesterday, we were a happy family, smiling and laughing.

I miss them so much.