Chapter 14, Orson

It's been all day since I last saw Eleanor, and since then I've been tense.

Only recently was I alerted by Lark, the guard I appointed to her, that she was awake and asking to use the lounge room to watch TV.

It's been an hour since then, and I've finally finished everything I needed to so I could spend a full week with her without being behind on any of my Alpha duties.

Lark has kept me up to date on everything she does, as requested. She watched a movie, and when Lark asked me if it was allowed for him to watch it with her, as per her request, I was reluctant, but I'm thinking long game when it comes to Eleanor.

The sooner she has a friend, the better my chances are at keeping her here, as my mate, I would be against it with any other male but Lark I know I can trust, he's been with me since the beginning, he's been through what I have, on some levels he can relate to me emotionally.

He understands what could be at stake if anyone hurt Eleanor.

My weakness.

I want her here, with me, not out there where they could get to her and possibly use her against me. 

The royal family has been keeping a watchful eye on me ever since they had learned of me being an Alpha wolf, and I know that they have spies everywhere, even in my pack, but I still can't risk it, I can't have Eleanor anywhere other than here, with me, for her own safety.

I don't trust her relatives, everyone knows that they kill their own when they go too far from their reach, just like Eleanor's old man did, the heir to the throne, he sealed his death sentence the moment he disobeyed the King, his father, refusing to reject his true mate.

There is nothing I won't do to protect Eleanor, and once he finds out his granddaughter is my mate, he will make his move, and I'll be ready, waiting for it with a smile on my face.

I've been waiting for an excuse to just fucking kill his family, and the spineless fools at the council table who refuse to take responsibility for their actions, using their power freely on the weak.

I hate them all, and it would bring me great pleasure to kill each and every one of them.

A knock on my door makes me drop my pen on the table. "Come in."

The doors open and Adan walks in. "Hey man, a messenger dropped this off for you." He says, coming over to me, waving the letter in his hands.

I take it and open it with my letter opener then scan the contents written inside, and it's something I knew was coming, but this soon? I would be lying if I didn't say I was annoyed, but it can't be avoided.

'Dove is on the move, scheduled shipping estimated at 7 days.'

-B

I roll the paper into a ball and throw it in the fire behind me. "How much wine do we have in the basement?"

Adan hums. "Enough to last a winter." He says slowly. "Why...?"

"B is coming, 7 days from now and I don't want her anywhere near Eleanor." I state clearly.

Adan laughs, his head tilting back as he grips his stomach. "I take it you didn't tell her then?" He asks amused, causing a growl from me.

I completely forgot, with finding Eleanor, Bella had completely slipped my mind, as she has for a while now, we're no longer together and never will be, she knows that.

But how would Eleanor take it? "You should tell her, after all, you did almost marry her Orson."

Five years ago, the biggest fucking mistake of my life, I had asked Bella to marry me for political purposes only, but then it turned physical and ended just as fast, we weren't together a year before I called it off.

With Eleanor here, I can't risk anything giving her a reason to leave me, it will destroy me if she left and rejected our true mate bond, and I know Bella would take great satisfaction being a part of that heartbreak.

Bella has always been a shadow in my life, growing up in that dark place, for a time, Bella was the light in my pitiful existence of life, but a friend is all I saw her as, and with Bella being a Lords daughter, she had always thought she had some bind to me, thinking I was hers.

I ended it, deciding friends was all I saw her as since then I haven't seen or heard from her.

5 years ago

"You're breaking up with.. me?" She scoffs.

I place the agreement out from my desk and rip it up. "You knew this was coming, you agreed to the terms Bel, this was only for show, to unite our two packs."

I watch as her eyes flash, showing her wolf's pain through hers, I was prepared for this though, I know the only reason she agreed to this marriage was because of her feelings for me, which I used her for to get what I wanted.

I got what I wanted, she knew that I could end the agreement once the peace agreement between our packs was secured, now that it is, this marriage wasn't needed anymore.

She physically shakes as tears escape her blue eyes. "B-But I love you, and you l-love me." 

I never meant to hurt her like this, I wanted to avoid it, being my oldest ally, I didn't want to hurt her, but I knew I had to. 

I step forward and hold her hand in mine as my other caresses her cheek. "I never meant to hurt you Bella, I do love you." I say softly.

Her eyes rise to mine with hope. "But." Her eyes falter and she tenses.

"Not the way you want me to love you." I sigh out, releasing my hand from hers and moving away from her.

She follows after me and grabs hold of my shirt. "You are MINE! I was there for you, y-you swore yourself to me, you-"

I shove her off me. "I swore to protect you, as a friend. I was and never will be yours, I'm a piece of shit for this Bel, but you fucking agreed to it, knowing how I felt." I sigh out frustrated, running my fingers through my hair.

More tears fall from her eyes as she stands there silently, clenching her teeth as her face twists in anger. "You will regret this." She says silently, without emotion before walking out of my office and slamming the door behind her.

Present time

"I will tell her, and she will know the truth, that it is strictly political, nothing more."

Adan doesn't say anything but I can see the look in his eye like it's going to get ugly the moment she arrives, and there's nothing I can do to stop it from unfolding, one way or another, I can't break the peace treaty because I don't want her in my land, or around my mate.

So I will tell Eleanor the truth, and pray to the goddess that she understands where I was coming from, and why I did what I did.

I won't let anyone sabotage my chance at gaining a relationship with my mate, I'm hers now, mind, body, and soul, I want her completely, even if she doesn't feel the same now, I will do anything to get what I want.