Chapter 50, Orson

I stand in front of the council, as the crowd murmurs at what I just said.

"Could you repeat yourself again, Alpha Thrain." Lord Justice Cyphe asks.

I look to Gillian and he nods. "I said she's not here, nor will she be here." I say tightly. "Lord."

The crowd behind me begins to snicker as Lord Justice bangs the table to silence the room, making everyone behind me silent as Lord Cyphe clears his throat.

"You say you have a mate, but she's not here, does she not care for what happens, or is she simply a figment of your imagination?" He asks, peering down at me.

This fucker- he's testing me.

To the left, I have the King himself with his eyes bored into me, and to the right, I have Lord Uriak Baltimier and Bella, who are not budging an inch on this ridiculous charge, even though I have proof the documents were forged.

"What does my mate have to do with this?" I snap out irritably. "I had the documents submitted a week ago, this trial is a waste of my time and yours." 

Carmine... to think he had shown his face, just to get to Eleanor, did he think I would be that stupid and have her brought here in my defense?

"Stop glaring at him, you'll be arrested if you don't'."Adan says through mindlink.

I tear my eyes from him and bite my cheek as Lord Cyphe grumbles out. "I've read it Alpha, so has the King, and we as much as the jury agree that despite its forgery, a binding deal is sacred, and breaking it-"

I snap my fist down hand on the wood cage in front of me. "There were no such terms with canceling the contract, none were put in place, I was free to cancel anytime I choose, I should know, I had the contract made and looked over before-"

"Before you changed your mind?" The lord hums.

We're going around in circles, it is obvious to see, they're dragging this out knowing I have grounds to dismiss this whole thing, but because he's here- fucking Croix Carmine, the court isn't budging.

He owns it all, and I'm just a pawn that he wants me to move, so he could do what he planned, whatever that is.

I'm not risking her life, so I'll play along, I'll do whatever it takes to keep her from this.

"Yes, I'm sure we've all changed our mind once in our lives, even you Lord." I say sarcastically, making the crowd and witnesses behind me laugh.

"Enough." The Lord justice bangs against the table, silencing the crowd.

The glares down at me, as I stand emotionless and unbothered by his sad attempt to shake me.

"Enough for today, we'll see you again tomorrow Alpha." He says to me before he looks out to the crowd. "You are all free to go."

The cage unlocks and I'm free to leave the podium on which I stood, I leave to where Gillian and Adan are now standing waiting for me, sharing the same mood as me as I make it to them.

We all watch the King get up and leave and then bow to them he looks out to everyone in the courtroom, only moments before I bend down do I see how he looked at me, the same as how I looked at him.

If he thought he could make me break from bringing me in here every day for the past week, he's in for a long ride, because I will not fucking back down, not now and not never.

Croix leaves, as do I and my group.

"I can't believe we need to come here once again, have they no shame?" Adan asks, making Gillian snort.