Chapter 17, Eleanor

"And this is where we train." 

Looking out at the vast open land with the equipment I have never seen before, with a building in the far end of the field, I had no idea what to expect when Orson asked me if I wanted to see where he trains his pack for self-defense. 

"It's huge." I say looking out at the beautiful landscape in front of me. "Who trains your pack?" I turn around asking Orson, who is already looking at me.

"Me or Adan unless we are too busy, then my Delta Sena takes lead." 

I raise a brow and Orson grins at my confused expression. "Delta means third in command, Adan being my second he is in charge when I'm away, mostly his job is to keep the peace, security, border control, much like your human police." He says slowly and I nod now understanding.

"Sena is third in command and her job is to train or assist in training, I would introduce you but she's in Tharin visiting family until next week."

"Oh." 

He grins and takes my hand in his and leads me away from the training grounds. His hand causes heat to travel up my arm and down my leg as sparks soon follow.

Since we left the 'packhouse' where my room is, Orson had taken hold of my hand, and I know I should have shrugged him off, because.. this week is all about getting to know each other, but... I like it.

His hand makes me feel... safe, and warm inside.

I feel-

"Eleanor?"

I snap out of it and look at Orson, he's staring down at me with those beautiful forest eyes that I could get lost in. "Sorry." I lick my dry lips and avoid his hard gaze which makes me nervous. "What did you say?" I ask embarrassed.

He laughs huskily and I see him smile at the corner of my eye. "I asked if you were hungry, then we can talk more... also there's something I need to tell you and I want to discuss this in private."

I turn to look at him from the tone of his voice, whatever he wants to tell me I know it's something he's uncomfortable with sharing. "Sure... I guess." 

He doesn't say anything as I follow him, hand in hand as he leads us somewhere down a path. It's quiet, there's no traffic or cars or pollution in this world, I've almost been here for two weeks and I can't believe this is a real place, it's beautiful and magical.

My parents... came from this place, this was their home and they had to leave it all behind for me.

But for what? They escaped but in the end, they never got their happy ending.

I hear a waterfall and I feel my face drain of heat as I remember something I shouldn't have forgotten, how could I have forgotten about it? Crap!

The key! 

The one my mother left me in her note, I left it at the house... if someone finds it, double crap! I have no idea what it opens or what it does, but whatever it was, my mother died protecting it, she hid it from whoever killed her and gave it to me in confidence I would also protect it.

I look at Orson and there's no way he is letting me leave this place, not without him at least, I knew instantly when he said he could keep me here against my will that he did not want me to leave him.

The more I think about it the nervous I get, what if someone went inside the house and threw everything away? I've been gone two weeks... the house has a month left, surely no one went inside?

I need to go and get it, at whatever cost, it's the last thing my mother gave me, I have to protect it.

"...Orson?" I call his name, then watch as his focus comes down to me, his eyes locking me in his.