☽︎ 𝐓𝐖𝐎 ☾︎

𝑻𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝑪𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝑶𝒇 𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑳𝒊𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒈

𝐄lowen was frozen.

Her feet were like cinder blocks, weighing her down to where she couldn't move. She could barely register her mother's vice-like grip on her arm, or the words of the preacher man.

The human didn't acknowledge the pitying look the Alpha couple gave her, or the reassuring pats on the shoulder she had received throughout the day. Her grandfather kept an arm around her as people gave their condolences to her mother - but she didn't want their pity, nor did she want their sympathy - no.

She just wanted her dad.

Time just stood still for her as the funeral came to an end. The Alpha made a speech before the pack retired to their own homes, announcing that he and the elders would make a choice on who would be the next Beta.

Elowen paid him no mind, choosing to stare blankly at the ground.

"Come on Kid, let's get you home." Thomas muttered, a tight grip on his cane as he led her away from the fresh grave. "Your mother has to talk with the Alpha, she will be home later."

The girl could only nod mutely, unable to form any words as she held onto her grandfather's hand. At that moment though she could not feel the limb in her grasp - could not tell where she was stepping as she let her feet lead her instead.

Elowen nibbled on her lower lip as it wobbled softly, unable to do anything but suffer in the silent confines of her mind as she made the journey home with Thomas by her side.

"Do you think he was proud of me?" Elowen found herself asking a few hours later.

Thomas looked up to see the sorrowful face of his granddaughter. He could make out the tear tracks on her cheeks and the redness of her bottom lip from where she had been wearing it down.

"Your father?" He raised a brow and sighed when she nodded, placing the cup of tea down onto the table. They were on the back patio, looking out over the lake as the sun began to sit in the sky. It was peaceful, and quiet - just what the two needed after today. "I don't think he was proud of you. I know he was proud of you."