Chapter 21: Guilty conscience

"YOU FAILED?" George banged the desk as Janet and Daniel stood in font of him with their hands behind their backs. Charlie was sent for treatment.

"We underestimated them, they expected us." Janet reported

George was furious, he swept off the paper work off his desk and sank down in his chair.

"Useless idiots. Are you saying that the Clark family is inferior to those bastards?"

Janet and Daniel didn't reply, instead, Roger did.

"They were out numbered sir, but information as received, right?" Roger asks, as if he was trying to help, but made it worse.

"Yes, we found that the purple eyed boy is-"

"working for the Vinitacions" Janet continued.

'Can't let him know about Ace.'

Janet looked at Daniel with a slight look of 'warning'.

"So the Vinitacion dogs really are after us. Hah..." George leaned his head back.

"They are not to be underestimated." Daniel stated "Indeed. We'll bring them down. You two. Get lost, I'm going to think of a way to get rid of them."

Janet and Daniel left the office, Sighing in relief, the two started walking downstairs together.

"Why not tell him the truth about your friend."

"Shut up" Janet said quickly

"Why though, why protect him."

"No reason." Short answers still.

"Daniel." another voice came from in front of them, Monica stood in front of them with a look of slight dismay

"is it true? You killed Ace's sister?" Her eyes were shaking

She turned her head to Janet

"Why aren't you reacting! Arn't you worried about Ace? Isn't he your friend!? He isn't close to anyone in his family except his sisters" Monica was furious.

Janets expression changed, 'is that so...'

Noticing the chance in Janet's expression, Monica scoffs and says, "What. You didn't know? No wonder, you're always so cold, you don't even know that much about him."

'Seems like they are close. Looks like the novel is going the same...except, Monica never cared at first, seems like my meddling has changed her persona somehow...apart from the try hard poker face she uses.'

"Calm down, get some rest." Daniel pats her shoulder. Her frown deepens, she smacks his hand off her, "You did it! how could you not have a heart about it."

"It was a kill or be killed situation." Daniel sighed. Janet looked slightly defeated with that response, but it was the truth. If that person didn't die, Daniel might've been the one to.

"Still, don't you feel guilty killing a family member of a friend?" Monica asks janet

"it was an order."

"You can reject-"

Janet cuts her off once she was starting to get fed up by her naive responses, "No you can't, you haven't been on many missions, you don't know fathers temper, but if you want to die In his hands, be my guest."

She walks passed Monica, and heads to the kitchen, leaving Monica and Daniel alone on the stair case.

"But isn't there always a second option....not everyone needs to die..."