Chapter 6

Skyler

Skyler hugged her parents. "Oh, I am going to miss you so much."

"We will miss you too Skyler."

"I shall write to you every week. It is going to be so strange all alone in that school."

Mother smiled at her. "You are not going to be all alone. Mr Colin will be in the school a few streets away and you shall be put in a group with other girls."

"I cannot help feeling nervous though. What if the other girls do not like me?"

"They will Skyler. What is there not to like about you?" Father said.

"I do not know, I am just really nervous, this is the first time I shall be leaving you both."

"We would not have enrolled you at Coleorton if we did not think you were ready. Just be kind and polite, which you already are, and you shall be fine," Mother said.

"I will try."

"You two should set off. Mr Colin and his family will be waiting," Father said.

Skyler fidgeted with the hem of her dress. Would she really be able to spend six weeks away from home, alone?

Father kissed her forehead. "Goodbye Skyler, I am sure you shall make friends."

"Goodbye Father."

She took Mother's hand, clasping it tightly as they went next door to Mr Colin's house. Mother knocked on the door firmly, exuding confidence Skyler could never hope to achieve. Mr Colin came out followed by his mother. She caught his gaze and blushed hiding behind Mother.

"Are you ready to go Mrs Bradshaw?" Mr Colin's mother said.

"Yes, are you excited Colin?"

"Yes Mrs Bradshaw. It is going to be fun going to a new school."

Skyler looked at the floor, if only she could have such a mindset. As Mother said, most her problems could be solved with her having more confidence.

They went into the carriage, her and Mr Colin sat opposite each other. He smiled at her, and she felt her heart flutter, smiling back. They had been neighbours all her life and although they saw each other less now they were older, he was her best friend. Lately, though, she had been feeling more than friendship towards him, and he seemed like he felt the same.

Both their parents approved of the match, and it was confirmed in all but writing that they would be married once they were of age. She was still unsure how she felt about that but there were still a few years left for him to court her more.

They arrived at the road before the school and unloaded from the carriage.

Mother held her tight. "Good luck Skyler. I know you will have a good time."

"Thank you, Mother. Goodbye."

Mother let her go. "Goodbye."

Mr Colin finished a similar goodbye with his mother and the two women went back into the carriage leaving them alone.

Skyler's heart thudded as they walked towards the two schools.

"I shall miss you, Miss Skyler."

"I shall miss you too, Mr Colin."

"I heard that Coleorton offers a gardening job to a few select students on weekends."

She looked at him, unsure what he was insinuating. "I never knew."

"Well, if you get the job, you are able to visit the girl's school to do the gardening there."

So that was what he meant. To think she would be able to meet him, alone, without supervision for the first time in years was almost frightening.

"If I get the job, I will be near the fence. I would love it if you could come and meet me."

"Of course, I shall."

He smiled at her again and she could not help smiling back, widely.

They had reached the gates.

He took her hand in his and kissed it. "Goodbye Miss Skyler."

She blushed, curtseying slightly. "Goodbye Mr Colin."

He walked in the other direction, going to the boy's school as she went closer and closer to the gates growing more nervous by the second. She grabbed her luggage and walked through looking around at the groups of girls.

Unsure of where she would fit in, she hung around the sides, working up the courage to at least talk to someone.

After a few minutes, a group of nuns emerged from the main doors. They were probably going to begin registration.

"Quiet!" one of them shouted.

The chatter stopped and all eyes were on the nuns.

"I am Sister Wright, head of Coleorton Girls School. Listen for your name and you shall be sorted into groups. Ruby Anderson."

A red-haired girl with a defiant expression walked to the front. Skyler watched her, entranced.

"You are to be in Group One. Your advisor is Sister Morten go stand beside her."

Sister Wright waited until Miss Anderson stood beside Sister Morten to continue.

"The next names I call out will be in Group One. Skyler Bradshaw."

Skyler froze, she never expected to be second to be sorted. She could feel the gazes of everyone burning into her as she went head down to stand beside Miss Anderson.

Sister Wright continued calling out names. "Jade Hunter, Sunny Madison, Bella Parker."

Everyone looked when Miss Parker was called out and she came towards them, exuding elegance and importance. She must be the mayor's daughter.

"Poppy Rowan." A girl with bright eyes and freckles smiled at Miss Anderson and linked arms with her once she joined them.

"And Violet Willow."

Miss Willow walked up gracefully and then smiled at Miss Madison who hugged her immediately.

"Follow Sister Morten to your dormitory."

They curtseyed to her and followed Sister Morten up numerous staircases and down hallways to a spacious room. Eight beds were lined in rows of four and two windows were at the end of the room.

"I am Sister Morten your advisor, any questions you have about Coleorton, you can ask me. My office is one the first floor at the end of the corridor and is always open if you have any concerns. I am sure you girls will fit in just fine. Sister Wright will come soon to give you further information."

She lingered in the doorway for a moment and then shut the door leaving them all enclosed within.

Skyler looked around. Everyone was silent.

It was broken by Miss Anderson throwing her suitcase onto the bed on the right side of the door. "I am taking this bed. Does anyone else want it before I unpack?"

The rest of them shook their heads. Miss Parker was next going to the second bed down from Miss Anderson. Skyler looked around unsure, she had no idea where she would fit in with them. Were they already friends? Miss Rowan and Miss Anderson seemed like they were. So, she could not take that bed. She gripped her suitcase tighter and tighter as they settled in her nervousness increasing rapidly.

"Miss Bradshaw, come, would you like this bed?"