Chapter 14

Poppy

Poppy looked out of the window into the grounds. She longed to be there instead of stuck in the draughty classroom.

"Miss Rowan, you can read the next chapter."

She snapped out of her reverie, quickly turning the pages in her book. "Yes ma'am."

Ruby linked arms with her. "Poppy, you seem more distracted than usual today."

"I have just been wanting to go outside, but we still have two hours of lessons and then I have duties."

"Is it washing duty?"

"No, cleaning. Just me and a mop for two hours."

Jade suddenly appeared beside her. "You might not be mopping; it could be dusting or anything else."

"That is not cheering me up in the slightest."

Miss Bella linked her arm in Jade's. "Well, if you really want to, we could go outside after your duties."

Duties usually ended right before supper, and after that the doors were locked.

"Miss Bella, I do hope you are not suggesting breaking any rules," Ruby said.

The look in Ruby's eyes suggested she would be more than willing to break the rules.

"I am merely stating an option, it is Poppy's choice."

Three pairs of eyes all looked at her expectantly.

"Well, we shall have to see after duties, I am not promising anything."

Ruby grinned. "I shall have a plan ready either way."

Poppy matched her grin. "I expect no less."

"Poppy come on; we have duties."

Poppy looked up from her Mathematics book, barely half the sums filled in, at Ruby who was holding out her hand.

She took it, following her inside to the main hall where several other girls were already gathered. Ruby drifted off towards the group doing washing duties whilst she stood with the larger group doing cleaning.

The nun in charge clapped her hands. "You girls shall be doing cleaning duty. Miss Stone, Miss Minton you shall be dusting; Miss Meyer and Miss Nichols you shall be mopping and Miss Rowan and Miss Roselyn you shall be brushing."

She waved her hands and Poppy went over to Miss Roselyn and the brushes. She had not yet spoken to her, but they did share classes and were sat near each other frequently.

Miss Roselyn held out a hand. "Daria Roselyn, pleased to make your acquaintance."

She shook it. "Poppy Rowan, the pleasure is all mine."

Miss Roselyn smiled at her and handed her a brush. "Would you like to start upstairs or downstairs?"

"Upstairs."

Miss Roselyn nodded, and they made their way upstairs, brushes and pans in hand.

Poppy leaned against the wall once they reached the fifth floor, catching her breath.

"I shall do the left row of rooms, and you can do the right."

Poppy nodded, knocking on the closest door, and brushing up the room once allowed in.

It was inevitable after brushing two floors that Poppy would become bored. Incredibly bored.