Chapter 18

Poppy

Poppy closed her book, leaving the classroom alongside the others. As she walked back to their room, her nervousness built. Today was her first opportunity to make a good impression to the choir leaders.

She set her books down on her dresser and picked up her pipe. "I ought to get going, the choir meeting starts soon."

"Wait, I was going to go early for washing duties anyways. Would you like to walk together?"

"Of course."

She slipped her hand into Ruby's, who squeezed it tightly sending her a small smile.

"Are you nervous?"

"A little, it is a little nerve wracking to sing and play in front of everyone."

"I have always found, when I feel nervous, that pretending helps. Perhaps you could imagine they are your birds."

"I think I may try that, thank you Ruby."

They had reached the music classroom by now, Poppy gripping onto her pipe tighter.

Ruby clasped her hands in hers. "Good luck Poppy, I am sure they shall love your music."

"Thank you, Ruby, I would wish you luck with your duties but after this many times doing them I am not sure you need it."

Ruby laughed. "Well then you take my luck with you and outshine all the rest of those in the choir."

"I shall."

She waved at Ruby as she headed back down the corridor to the washing room and then faced the door.

"Just pretend they are birds," she whispered.

"Pretend who are birds?" a voice said.

Poppy turned. "Oh, Daria, I did not notice you coming here."

"I walk quietly. So, Poppy, are you going to enter the room or continue talking to yourself?"

"Sorry, I was just slightly nervous, and a friend gave me the suggestion of pretending they are birds."

"Ah, I see. Well, if your singing is half as good as your humming, I am sure you shall be chosen for the choir."

"Thank you, Daria, I am sure you shall be chosen too, your voice is very beautiful."

"Thank you, now come on, we shall be late."

She followed Daria into the room taking a place at one of the desks. To her surprise, at the front were Miss Avery and Miss Ainsley.

"Welcome to the first choir meeting, I am Avery Styles, and this is Ainsley Russell, and we are the choir leaders. We are just going to wait for others to arrive and then we shall start."

Poppy lay her pipe on her lap, running her fingers along its ridges to soothe her nerves. A few more people entered the room until it seemed no one else would come.

Miss Avery clapped her hands. "Right, who would like to go first?"

Beside her, Daria raised her hand and walked towards the front. She smiled at them all before beginning singing.

As Poppy listened, a smile came to her face, hearing Daria's sweet tone. She sang so clearly and without a single hint of nervousness.

She looked over at Miss Avery and Miss Ainsley who were also smiling, sharing a look before writing down something on their paper.

Daria finished with a curtsey before sitting back down next to her.

Miss Avery clapped. "Thank you very much Miss Roselyn, who would like to go next."