Chapter 5

The past is not the past if it keeps coming back.
                            — Mattew Loyden

A sigh filled the room.

Dora rubbed her forehead as she leaned back on her seat.

There were two days more for the Open Day event. A day when parents paid visits to the school to meet the teachers of their children and to see the progress of their children.

Her eyes glazed over as bewilderment washed over her. A headache was fast approaching.

Formidable stacks of papers and reports stared at her, waiting to be done.

The back of her head touched the cold surface of the wall as she leaned back.

Her shoulders relaxed and her eyes flickered close.

The calmness of her meditation was jolted as her mind traveled to how the meeting with Kemi ended.

                    ★Flashback★

"Oh my, that was delicious!" Kemi exclaimed as she swallowed the last bits of her club sandwich.

Dora gave a contented grin as she nodded. The sweet taste of her cinnamon rolls tickled her tongue.

The waitress who had attended to them returned with their bill.

Dora was faster as she produced her card for payments.

"Oh come on now, no need for that." Kemi looked at her briefly before she turned and handed her card to the waitress.

Dora frowned but didn't say anything.

With everything settled, the waitress walked away.

"Oh my, Adaora, you look like I stole your favorite pie." Kemi chortled as she faced her. "Don't worry, next time everything will be on you." She laughed.

Dora nodded in agreement. "Good."

She didn't want any more favors.

"Okay, shall we?" Kemi asked as she packed her bags.

Dora nodded, flung her bag on her shoulder, and stood up.

The heels of both women clicked on the floor as they strolled across the cafe.

The low voices of the other customers filled the background.

"Oh my, isn't that G. M?" Kemi suddenly shrieked.

"G.M?" Dora turned to face her with raised brows.

"Yes, G.M!" Kemi asserted and pointed to the left-hand side of the cafe.

Dora followed the direction of her hand; she sucked in a breath when her eyes landed on the figure seated on one of the tables.

She turned to face Kemi with a deep frown. Confusion danced in her eyes

Kemi in turn gave her a weird look. "Don't you know? That's what we call him. G.M—Gerald Marcello."

"Oh, okay," Dora said distractedly as her eyes returned to the object of their conversation.

Why did he reappear in her life after all these years? She mused.

She was jolted by a pull on her hand.

A yelp escaped her lips as Kemi dragged her towards his table.

"Stop it, Kemi!" She struggled to free herself. She felt her heart pound in her chest.