Chapter 12

You might be afraid of crossing an ocean or walking through flame but family would make you do even riskier things because that's how powerful the bond you have becomes.
-Unknown

A calmness floated through the Bullocks residence on a Saturday morning.

Both women were engrossed in their various pastimes.

Dora had slipped into the pages of one of her novels.

The fragrance of vanilla and milk from Tara's freshly baked cookies flowed through Dora's nose.

However, a knock on the door broke through the quiet atmosphere.

Dora looked up and her eyes connected with Tara's own.

One question was brimming in their eyes.

Who was that?

"Let me get it." Dora folded the page she was on, closed the book, and laid it on the side table.

With a racing heart, she cut across the room and reached the door.

The pounding of her heart rang in her ears as she clenched the doorknob.

Ever since the fateful day of the unexpected visit of Ayodeji, the women were wary at knocks on the door.

With a quick deep breath, she pulled the door open.

An expression of shock washed over her face as she gazed at the figure

"Sister Chiaka!" She shrieked as a smile crept onto her lips. "What a pleasant surprise!" Her eyes sparkled with happiness. "Please come in." Dora stepped to the side.

The door shut behind them and they turned to face each other. A grin spread across their faces.

"Nwanne!" The woman squealed and wrapped Dora in an embrace. "It has been so long." She squeezed Dora.

"I know," Dora whispered, her voice thick with emotion. Tears filled her eyes and she clung to her sister.

After a few more minutes, the women pulled back but still held hands

Dora gazed at her elder sister, Chiaka Dike, a boxy and petite woman in her late forties. Her eyes gleamed with the excitement of a twenty-year-old. The side of her lips was marred with the lines of uncountable smiles and laughter.

"It is so good to see you," Dora asserted with a beam. "Why didn't you tell me you were coming?"

"Because it would ruin the surprise," Tara said from the doorway. Her eyes sparkled with laughter.

Dora turned to face Tara. "So it was your plan!" She tossed a playful glare at Tara.

"No, it was our plan," her sister said from beside her. "Tara called me to cheer you up." She grinned widely.

Dora crossed her arms. "I see how it is; you both ganged up against me." She huffed and pouted playfully. "I don't like surprises." Her cheeks puffed up as she struggled not to smile.

From the corner of her eyes, she watched Tara and Chiaka exchange a look. And suddenly, the room filled with their laughter.

Dora stared baffled at them. However, slowly and surely Dora found herself joining in the laughter.

Her heart was overjoyed and she wouldn't trade it for anything else in the world.

"Anyway, nwa m nwanyị, won't you give your aunty a hug?" Chiaka said to Tara.

"Of course, I will, Auntie!" Tara grinned, crossed over, and embraced her.

"How are you doing?" Chiaka asked and pulled back.