Chapter 40

Real love is not based on romance, candlelight dinners, and walks along the beach. It is based on respect, compromise, care, and trust. —Unknown

Calm down, Dora!

Take a deep breath!

Adaora kept chanting to herself as the time for dinner drew closer. She paced around her room and used her hand to fan her face.

Calm down!

Everything is going to be fine.

She repeated to herself. However, her pounding heart refused to listen. Beads of sweat formed on her forehead and the chill from the Air conditioner couldn't dry them

Oh God, please take control!

How am I supposed to have fun in such a state?

Her hand ran through her hair and she sighed. She drifted to the window and let the breeze slap her face. The wind ruffled her hair and flowed through her body. Her eyes drifted close and a calming sensation washed over her.

She remained in a state of tranquility until a loud knock broke through the room. Her eyes darted open. She exhaled sharply and turned away from the window.

"Just a minute," she called out and moved to the bed. She collected her black purse and ambled to the door.

The door swung open and Gerald's charming smile greeted her. His eyes widened as he looked her over.

Amazement marred his face. "Oh wow, you look lovely," he whispered with admiration shimmering in his eyes.

Heat warmed her cheeks.

Kemi's words flooded her head.

When you wear the pink dress I got you, Gerald would be rendered speechless.

Dora's blush deepened. "Thank you," she muttered.

From beneath her lashes, her eyes ran over his well-tailored navy blue suit and she couldn't stop herself from being impressed. Somewhere within her, she knew she would be the object of many women's envy.

"Shall we?" he asked and stretched out his arm.

Dora's eyes darted from his face to his arm. Her nerves itched and she swallowed a lump. She slipped her hand into the crook of his arm and Gerald smiled.

Their shoes clicked on the floor as they headed toward the elevator. They sent a polite nod to the other people in the elevator.

A few minutes later, they filed out of the elevator and passed the reception desk and lobby.

Dora's brows furrowed as Gerald led them towards the exit.

"The restaurant is outside!" He declared and sent her a brief look.

Dora nodded and let him guide her outside. True to her instinct, stares of women dotted around landed on them. They gave Gerald an impressive appraisal. Some even sent him flirty grins.

Dora subconsciously balled a fist. Her eyes darted to Gerald and pride swelled within her as he didn't spare any of the women a look.

She turned back to the women and glared at them. However, her breath caught as she realized what she did.

What's wrong with you, Dora? She chided herself.

Nothing is going on between you and Gerald.

With that in mind, she steeled her heart and faced ahead.

"Here it is!" Gerald announced.

Her eyes drifted to the building they were heading towards. Gold lights streamed through the glass windows that wrapped the structure.