Chapter 10

Staying in love for more than 5 years is almost impossibleStaying in love with the same person for the rest of your life is a miracle.
                          —Unknown

"So tell me about this your friend, Amara." Kemi gazed at her from above the rim of her teacup.

Dora stiffened and gripped her mug. The dreaded moment had arrived.

She took a sip of her coffee and sighed. "What would you like to know?"

"Anything and everything." Kemi chuckled. "Start at the beginning of your friendship. How did you become friends?"

Dora nodded and began. "We were both interns in the same company. During break time one day, we sat at the same table in the cafe. And we hit it right off."

"Interesting! What was she like?"

"I thought her to be the sweetest thing ever. She always wore a smile in every situation. I felt I could confide in her about everything." A dry laugh escaped her lips. "But I was clearly wrong." The handle of her mug pierced her skin and she flinched.

"Oh, really?" Kemi tilted her head to the side. "Tell me about it." She bit in a biscuit. "What ruined your perfect relationship?"

Dora closed her eyes briefly as bittersweet memories flooded her mind.

Her eyes flickered to the windows. And she gazed at the endless blue sky.

She turned back to face her friend who was gazing at her with attentive eyes.

A heavy sigh left her lips.  "So our friendship progressed and my trust in her increased." She clenched her fist. "We got married—she married first and started having children."

Her eyes dimmed and she went silent. The memories of the past buried her in sorrow. Bile rose in her throat and she whispered, "Then my nightmare as Mrs. Ayodeji Bullocks began."

Her eyes drifted shut and the pain and wounds she suffered for over ten years flooded back. Tears burned the back of her eyes.

Her eyes shot open and were met with the compassionate smile of her friend and lawyer.

A shaky breath escaped her lips. "There were only so many wounds I could attend to myself. I needed help." She swallowed to moisten her suddenly dry throat. "And I turned to her because she was the closest person—she was just in the apartment opposite mine."

The compassion and kindness that shone in Kemi's eyes was a balm to her fraying nerves.

Her healed wounds were her strength to keep speaking.

"When the pain and struggle use to get too much, I rushed to her to tend to my wounds."

Images of the days of rushing to Amara's house with bleeding wounds rushed back and Dora's heart tightened.

"Why did you go to her?"

"Because I didn't want to be questioned  unnecessarily in the hospital."

She heaved a tired sigh. "Anyway, years went by and nothing seemed to change. But one thing changed—Tara grew up."

Her eyes drifted down and she stared at the tray of biscuits that lay on the low mahogany table.

"I knew I had to do something. I didn't want my daughter to be a victim as well." Her chest rose and fell and despair filled her face.

She looked to a face that held no pity but kindness and compassion.

"When Ayodeji's violent acts  threatened to place, I sent Tara to Amara to keep her safe." She toyed with the mug. "Maybe I shouldn't have done that," she whispered as tears filled her eyes.