Chapter 32

"Maybe I’m just afraid, ’cause honestly, right now I can’t afford another heartbreak." — Unknown

"Oh my God, I finally did it!" A loud voice startled Dora.

Dora's eyes bulged open as looked up. "What did you do?" She felt a tingle of fear in her heart.

"I did what you told me to do!" A huge grin spread across Claudia's face. "I dedicated my life to Jesus!" Her voice rose and her eyes lit up.

"Oh my word, that's wonderful news!" Dora leaped from her seat and pulled Claudia in for a hug.

Thank you, Lord, for your miracle. Dora smiled at the thought

"Congratulations! I am so happy for you." She squeezed Claudia and pulled back with an unwavering smile.

"I am happy for me too! I feel so different and light." Her eyes crinkled and her grin broadened. "Thank you for showing me the right path." Gratitude shimmered in her eyes.

Dora grinned but shook her head. "All the glory belongs to God!"

"True!" Claudia nodded. "I realize that now."

Dora's heart swelled with joy. "So tell me, what triggered you to make the decision?"

"It's nothing big." Her lips lifted into a smile. "I found myself watching a Christian show on TV and someone gave their testimony about how they came to know God. Ironically, the person's story was quite similar to mine. We both believed that we didn't need anyone including God." A pained look flickered in her eyes.

"Anyway, hardships of life taught the person that things can only go smoothly with God's intervention. Somehow, the words of the person struck a chord in my heart. I realized that I didn't want to live a Godless life anymore." She drew a shaky breath and went silent.

Tears shimmered in Dora's eyes. Her overwhelming emotions withheld her from speaking. So with a watery smile, she pulled Claudia in for another embrace.

"That's such a beautiful story," she said and released her. "God is awesome!"

"Yes, he is!" Claudia's face lit up with a huge grin.

Just then the distant ringing of a bell floated into the room.

"Ahh, I guess that's a cue for me to leave." Claudia chuckled.

Dora's ears perked up as several footsteps drew closer.

"See you later!" They smiled at each other and Claudia strutted out.

Thank you, Jesus! Dora looked heavenward with a smile.

She returned to her seat as the students returned to class.

And with that, work resumed.

                    ★★★★★

Dora hummed a hymn as she went about arranging the classroom at the end of the day.

She tucked the students' books into the bookshelves, aligned the tables and chairs to perfect precision, and arranged her desk.

Squeaking sounds bounced against the walls as she closed the windows. The room grew dim as the closed windows prevented light from streaming in.

She swung her handbag on her shoulder and proceeded towards the door. However, she came face to face with the unexpected.

Her eyes widened and she gasped. "Kemi, what are you doing here?"

Kemi snickered. "Aren't I allowed to visit my friend at work?" She strolled in and tilted her head to the side.

"No, that's not it. I am just surprised to see you here at this time."