Chapter 17

When someone special enters your life unexpectedly, don't let them go. They are probably brought into your life for a reason.
                       —Unknown

Dora wandered through the gate of her house in a daze some hours later.
She robotically rang the bell and drop a limp hand by her side.

"I won't give up on you, Adaora!" Those were the words ringing in her head all through the drive home.

The cool breeze flowing in the atmosphere couldn't calm her erratic nerves.

"Oh my word, Adaora, are you okay?" Her sister's frantic voice broke the fog in her head.

She turned bleary eyes to face her sister who was scanning her with worry in her eyes.

"Are you okay?" Chiaka asked louder as she shook her shoulder.

"I am okay," she whispered and slipped into the house.

She plopped down on the couch and heaved a tired sigh.  Her forehead scrunched in pain as a throb formed in her head.

"You can't deceive me; you are definitely not fine." Chiaka stood in front of her with crossed arms. "Tell me, what is wrong?"

"I am fine, Sister!" Dora spared her a quick look. "The journey was hectic, that's all."

Chiaka sent her a doubtful look. "I don't believe you but I will let it go." She took a seat next to Dora. "Did you find her?"

Dora shook her head. "No!"

"That's not good. What are you doing next?"

Dora squirmed as Gerald's face flashed in her mind. "A PI is looking for her." Her eyes flickered around the house. "Where is Tara?"

"She had a class today, remember?"

"Oh yes, she informed me last night!"  She scowled and mentally slapped herself for forgetting about her daughter.

Barely a second later, she cupped her mouth as she produced a yawn. Her eyes felt heavy and her body was eroded with wariness.

"Go in and take a nap!" Chiaka said from beside her. "You look exhausted. I have never seen so many wrinkles on your face before." She gave a clucking sound.

Dora rolled her shoulder to ease some tension. "Yeah, I guess I should take a nap. I feel exhausted."

Emotionally and mentally! A small voice added.

"Then be on your way!"

Dora nodded, dragged herself from the living room, and drifted off into her bedroom. She blinked rapidly as her eyes adjusted to the dim lights.

After discarding her shoes and bag, she crawled into bed and slipped into a deep slumber filled with dreams about a brown-eyed man declaring his romantic intentions.

                        ★★★★★

A few hours later. . .

A loud blaring sound boomed in the room.

A groan sounded and a pair of eyes peeled open. Dora turned over, reached over, and picked up her phone that was ringing on her bedside table.

"Hello!" Her voice came out groggy and she pulled herself to a sitting position.

"Aloha, girl!" Kemi squealed from the other end. "Sorry to disturb you, but I just needed to know how things went." She could feel Kemi grinning through the phone.

Dora gritted her teeth and clenched her phone. "You are unbelievable! Why would you leave me to the wolves?"

She gaped in shock as her friend burst into laughter. "What is funny?" A scowl formed on her face.