Chapter 36

The only true wisdom is in knowing that you know nothing. — Socrates

The night was void of any breeze. Even the crickets ceased their chirping. The buzzing mosquitoes were not in sight.

Dora approached her house with uncertainty. 

What am I doing?

What am I going to say?

New questions flooded her mind and left her disturbed.

Her tension increased as they ascended the short flight of steps. They stalled in front of the front door; she inserted the key and the lock turned open. 

Shock surged through her as she realized what would happen next.  Gerald was entering her house for the first time and she didn't know what to feel.

She stole a look at the figure beside her. His lips were in a thin line and a thoughtful expression marred his face.

His eyes flickered to her. "Are you okay?"

"Y-yes," she stuttered and turned back to the door. With one push the door opened. "Please, come in."

They crossed over the threshold and slipped into the dark silent house. The door shut quietly behind them and Dora switched on the lights in the living room.

Her eyes scanned the place and she became self-conscious.  As her eyes roamed around, she found a fault in everything. Suddenly, the cushions looked askew, the console table looked dusty, and the carpets looked like they needed to be vacuumed.

Her hands itched to go over and redo everything but the presence beside her made her immovable.

She licked her lips and discarded her thoughts. Her eyes flickered to Gerald.
"Please, have your seat." She led him to the couch.

"Thank you!" He said and sat down.

A new feeling stirred within Dora as she gazed at him. A feeling that awakened dead places in her heart. A feeling that went against her conviction.

Control yourself, Dora.

Don't become weak.

She ducked her head to hide the blush that formed on her cheeks. After getting a check on her emotions, her eyes darted up and she found him gazing at her. 

Her body squirmed and she broke eye contact.

"What would you like to have?" She asked as her eyes darted back to him.

"Nothing, thank you very much!" His lips lifted into a slight smile.

She nodded and her eyes flickered down as she pondered on what to do next.

Talk to him! Said a small voice.

Ask him all your unanswered questions.

She swallowed hard to erase the lump that formed in her throat.

Silence reigned in the atmosphere as she struggled to find her voice and formulate her words.

One question swirled in her head and she blurted it out, "Why did you come back after all these years?"

Gerald wasted no time in answering, "Because it was the right thing to do."

"What do you mean?" Her eyes slowly rose to meet his. 

"I still love you and I owe you an explanation for what happened."

Her breath caught at the honesty that shimmered in his eyes. However, his words caused her to clench her teeth.