Chapter 41 part 2

Forgiveness says you are given another chance to make a new beginning. — Desmond Tutu

Gerald's statement left Dora dumbfounded for the rest of day. She spent the rest of the afternoon with different scenarios playing in her head.

The nap she had for a few hours acted as a distraction from her racing thoughts.

Evening arrived with the moon peeking from the horizon.

A new feeling burned within Dora. A feeling she never thought she would feel after her youthful days.

She couldn't stop the smile that split on her face as she replayed the events of the last couple of days.

I will come to pick you up at 7 pm. Gerald's words flooded her mind and caused her anticipation to rise.

The new feeling swirling within her made her do what she considered impossible.

"I don't believe this!" Kemi squealed.

I don't believe it either, Dora thought.

She shook her head and heaved a sigh. "You have said that five times already. Help me first and then continue."

Kemi chuckled. "Okay, okay; fine! What help do you need?"

"I don't know what to wear!" She groaned out.

"Oh my word!" Kemi laughed. "Please, say that again!"

Dora rolled her eyes. "Come on, Kemi!"

"Sorry!" Kemi giggled. "Now, let me see what you got there."

The two friends spent the next several minutes scrutinizing dresses in various styles, patterns, and hues.

Finally, after several rounds of arguments, they decided on a yellow floral maxi dress which Dora paired with gold accessories.

Dora twirled in front of the mirror and beamed at her reflection. Satisfaction welled within her.

"It's so good to see you happy," Kemi remarked.

Dora beamed. "Well, I am just following your instructions to have fun."

"And give him a chance," Kemi added.

Dora's smile reduced but didn't fade. "I have not gotten there yet but if it is destined to happen then I know I will."

Kemi smiled in response. "I am sure you will get there."

Dora turned away from the mirror and slipped into her shoes. Her eyes drifted up and connected with the clock hanging beside the TV.

6: 55. Just five minutes more.

Her heartbeat sped up and anticipation burned within her.

"I wonder what the surprise is." Her eyes darted to her phone screen.

"Don't worry, I am sure whatever it is would be worth your while." Kemi sent her a soft smile. "So I better let you go. You have three minutes left."

They exchanged goodbyes and the call ended. To keep her anticipation at bay, Dora pranced around the room.

A knock broke the silence in the room. She turned to the door with wide eyes. Nervousness surged through her and she took stealthy steps to the door.

The doorknob was cold against her palm. Butterflies danced in her stomach as she pulled the door open.

Gerald's familiar smile greeted her. His gaze swept over her and admiration filled his eyes.

"You look beautiful as usual!"