Chapter 24

Life is full of surprises, some good, some not so good.
                              — Pablo Escobor

Dora found herself on the same path but under different circumstances.

The happy chatter of her friend from the back seat was mildly irritating.

If she wasn't sitting next to the person who scalded her with his actions then she would have let out a frustrated yell.

The car jerked to a stop as Gerald veered the car into a filling station.

"Just a second!" He told them and slipped out of the car.

The car vibrated as the car door slammed shut, leaving the women in silence.

"Ahh, I can't believe you made me do this." Dora shook her head. "What was the need for him to give us a ride?"

"Duh, because he knows the place."

Dora rolled her eyes. "Oh please, if we had gone by ourselves we would find the place."

"Well, yeah, but I didn't want us to go alone. What if the place is dangerous?" Kemi whispered. "We would need someone to protect us."

"Pfft, stop being dramatic. We have God the ultimate protector so we don't have to worry about that."

"True! But still, God does his works through people; so maybe God sent Gerald to us." Kemi shrugged and grinned.

Dora shook her head in disbelief.

I highly doubt that.

"And besides, I won't let any opportunity pass without seeing two of you together." She sent Dora a wink and smirked.

"Oh please." Dora rolled her eyes, "don't start with that again," she said sternly. "We are not together and we will never be together."

Kemi snorted. "As I told you before, don't tempt fate."

Dora huffed and turned away. They went quiet as Gerald returned to the car.

The car swerved as he turned and headed back to the highway.

Kemi resumed singing the songs that played on the radio.

Dora yet again drained everything out. She pondered on what she would meet when they get to their destination. 

Father Lord, please let everything go well.

Her eyes drifted outside and she noticed that the buildings they passed had the same look. They were exotic and boasted of exquisite maintenance and care.

"Oh my, we are in the center of wealth," Kemi remarked.

"Yeah; this is the Government Residential Area," Gerald said.
"The house we are driving towards belongs to the minister of finance." 

Dora's eyes turned to the house as Gerald slowed down in front of it. Her eyes widened at the splendor it spouted. The bay windows glistened under the blazing sun. The lawns were trimmed to perfect symmetric.

Through the peeps in the silver metal gate, she spied various brands of expensive automobiles. 

"Oh my word!" Kemi gasped. "This is literally a fortress."

"True." Gerald gave a low chuckle.

"I am sure it is the country's money they squandered to construct it." Kemi tsked.

"Hmm, you are probably unto something," Gerald said. "They are using the money meant for infrastructure and for the citizens to build all these mansions for the public officials."