Chapter 23

A son-in-law is someone your daughter has picked to be loved, cherished, and valued in your family.
                                — Unknown

Every opportunity to relax should be snatched.

That is what Dora did on that sunny Saturday.

She lounged on the sofa with an open book. Her eyes cut across the pages as she digested the story with rapid enjoyment.

In the background, her sister's sonorous voice sipped into the sitting room as she sang a beautiful Ibo song.

What shall I render to Jehovah
For he has done
So very much for me
What shall I render to Jehovah
For he has done
So very much for me

Nara, nara eh, Nara Ekele
Nara Ekele Mo
Nara, nara eh, Nara Ekele
Nara Ekele Mo

(You can listen to the full clip by clicking on the youtube video above)

Her voice and the lyrics created a peaceful ambiance to the atmosphere.

Dora was able to unwind and forget about the turmoil she had gone through in the last couple of weeks.

She was just flipping to another page when the doorbell sounded. 

A sense of deja vu washed over her.
Recently, a knock on the door either brought good news or bad news.

She placed her book on the center table and rose.

Her flip-flops slapped against the floor as she approached the door.

A different aura floated in the air.

Her usual uneasiness to open the door was not there.

She turned the keys, pressed the handle down, and pulled the door open.

"Philip!" A pleasant grin splashed across her face, "What a wonderful surprise."

"Morning, ma'am!" He nodded his head and smiled.

She shifted to the side for him to pass. She shut the door after he slipped in.

"To what do I owe this honor?" Dora asked with a smile as they headed to the sitting room. "Because I believe you know Tara is not at home."

"Yes, I know she's out. I came to see you." His lips curled up in a charming smile.

"Oh, me?" Dora's eyes widened a little. "Have a seat." She gestured to the armchair while she took her seat on the sofa opposite him.

"So why do you want to see me?" She clasped her hands on her lap. "Should I be worried?" Dread climbed up her spine.

"No, ma'am, you shouldn't be worried." He sent her a comforting smile. "I come in peace."

"Ah, that's good!" She felt the tension on her shoulders ease.

"Uh... I have actually come to talk to you about something important." He wrung his hands together.

"Oh okay, go on." Dora watched as worry wrinkles formed on his forehead as he wrung his hands tighter.

Anxiety ran through her.

Oh Lord, it must be something big.

Please give me the strength to handle whatever he says.

Suddenly, an idea formed in her mind.

"Excuse me." She rose and went to the dining table. She returned with a glass of cool water. "Please have it."