Chapter 25

Farming is a profession of hope.
                               — Brian Brett

Dora gaped in surprise at the large expanse of land covered with various trees and plants.

A farm!

Amara lives on a farm.

Her eyes touched on a mango tree with semi-ripe fruits, they darted to banana trees heavy with bananas ready for harvest.

"Oh my, your face says you didn't expect this." Kemi chuckled beside her. "I don't know her much, but from all you told me, I didn't expect it either."

Dora's confusion increased as she scanned the area for a glimpse of someone. But the place was void of human life.

The leaves on the trees ruffled and the branches bowed in acceptance of the wind that whirled through them.

"There is no sign of anyone around. Could we have gotten the wrong address?"

"I am very sure we are at the right place," Gerald replied.

"Well, we can't stand here forever. So I guess we should be on our way. We may get some answers when we get there." Kemi took a step forward.

Dora wordlessly fell in step behind her. She struggled to disregard the fact that Gerald didn't leave his position beside her.

The trio found themselves on another footpath. Rows of fruit trees stood to the side. Different vegetable plants welcomed them as they drew closer.

Dora swallowed another gulp as they stalled in the thick of the farm. The trickling of water reached her ears.

Dora spied a spring of water flowing behind a cluster of orange trees.

"Hello, is anyone here?" Gerald's voice echoed in the empty farm.

The only response they got is the howling wind in the distance and the ruffling of the dry leaves beneath their shoes.

Suddenly, the sound of wood creaking broke the silence from behind the towering rows of banana trees.

The trio huddled together and turned to face the direction of the sound with wide eyes.

They watched as a shadow appeared between the spaces of two trees. The figure slipped between the cracks and revealed his identity.

It was a frail old man who was hunched over and leaning on a crooked wooden cane. His wrinkled eyes squinted at them in curiosity.

A lump got stuck in Dora's throat as nervousness ran through her. A hand curled around her arm and she looked up. She and Kemi exchanged skeptical looks.

"Good afternoon, sir!" Gerald took a step forward and nodded his head respectfully. "Please we are looking for Mrs. Amara. Do you happen to know her?"

The man narrowed his eyes. "And why are you looking for my daughter?" His voice came out slow and his lips wobbled.

Dora inhaled sharply and her eyes bulged open.

Oh my Lord, this is her father!

She told me he died when she was a child.

That was one of the many lies she told me.

Anger boiled within Dora and she clenched her fist beside her.

She released herself from Kemi's hold and stood next to Gerald.

"Good afternoon, sir! We are old friends of hers and we were told she relocated here." She sent him a polite smile. "Please where could we find her?"