Chapter 6

The best inheritance a parent can give his children is a few minutes of his time each day.
                          —O. A. Battista

The day was finally here.

The gates opened and closed as it welcomed parents in and bid them farewell.

All the classes were filled with voices as teachers and parents conversed with each other.

Dora waved goodbye to one of the parents of her children.

She heaved a sigh of relief.

So far, so good, the day had gone better than she expected.

She turned away from the door and headed back to her desk.

Her eyes surveyed the class and stopped on each child.

On such occasions, the children were given light tasks.

A group was engrossed in a book.
Others were either putting together a puzzle or coloring.

However, a sensation of restlessness consumed.

No matter how she tried, she couldn't relax. Her eyes kept darting to the open door.

To distract herself, her eyes flickered back to the children. And something caught her attention.

A boy was sitting alone looking forlorn as the other children played with anticipation to welcome their parents.

He wore a sad pout and his forehead was scrunched up.  And his eyes were dimmed.

Dora left her seat and walked up to him.

"What's wrong, dear?" She placed a hand on his shoulder.

He looked at her and said, "My mommy and daddy haven't come." Tears filled his eyes.

"Aww, I am sure they are on their way." She gave him a compassionate smile and she hoped and pray she was right.

He shook his head. "No! They never come." Defeat gleamed in his eyes.

Dora's eyes grew sad as stared helplessly at the boy.

How could she comfort him? She asked herself.

She had to agree that in her years of being a teacher, she had met parents who on days of such special occasions never showed up.

She said a silent  prayer for guidance

She patted his shoulder and he turned to face her.

The look in his eyes made her heart bleed.

However, she forced out a happy grin as an idea came to mind.

"Well, we hope they come. But in the meantime, why don't you write down some things that make you happy? It will make you feel better."

The boy thought for a moment before he finally nodded. "Okay, I will try to do it," he said with hesitation and his eyes shimmered with doubt. However, he slipped out his notebook and opened it.

Dora smiled in encouragement. She hoped that when he was done, the despondent look he wore would be erased.

"All the best! When you are done, come and show me; let's go over it." She smiled and ran a comforting hand down his back.

He nodded and with one more smile, she walked off to welcome a parent who just arrived.

She was having a deep conversation with the parent when a  perilous aura filled the atmosphere.