Chapter 33

Ours is a world which feels so unsettled and dangerous in large ways, whether it's terrorism or global financial meltdown or climate change - huge things that affect us deeply, and yet things about which we can do, individually, very little. — Sarah Waters

A shiver coursed through Dora as she and Kemi stepped into the brightly lit restaurant.

She rubbed her arms and her eyes scanned the area. Her eyes stopped on men clad in dapper three-piece suits and women decked in gorgeous dresses.

She leaned toward Kemi and whispered, "You should have given me a heads up about the dress code." A bashful tint crept up her cheeks as several pairs of eyes turned to her.

"Nah, you might have changed your mind." Kemi clucked.

"That would have been better than coming here underdressed."

Kemi chuckled and hooked their arms. "You don't need to worry; you look beautiful in anything you wear." Her eyes sparkled.

Dora scoffed and shook her head. "You are just trying to make me feel better."

"Nope. I am telling the truth. And besides, look at me." Kemi pointed to herself. "I am dressed in my usual bland black suit. So you are not the only odd one out."

"Hmm, that makes me feel better."

"Good; now let's go!" Kemi pulled her towards a group that was clustered to the side.

"Hey, y'all!" Kemi squealed as they reached them.

The eyes of everyone landed on them and Dora squirmed in nervousness.

"Cherie, you made it!" A huge grin spread on the face of a man with angular features.

"Yes, I did!" Kemi grinned as they drew closer to each other and exchanged a hug.

Kemi pulled back with a smile and turned to Dora. "Dora, meet my husband, Chidi Obi." She pointed to the man. "And Chidi, this one of my close friends, Adaora."

Dora and Chidi exchanged smiles and pleasantries. Kemi also proceeded to introduce Dora to the other people in the group.

After a few minutes of light conversation, the group dwindled and Dora and Kemi found themselves alone.

Soothing classical music glided across the room from the little band stationed beside the bar.

The violas and violins glistened under the fluorescent lights. The cheeks of the trumpeters puffed up as they blew into their horns.

Dora's eyes roamed around. They touched on the clandestine decorations and stalled on the platters of foods carried by servers to different tables. She watched people chat and sip on their glasses of wine.

Her attention shifted as Kemi moved closer.

"So...how are you enjoying it so far?"

"Hmmm, so far so good. At least nothing has gone wrong." She took a sip of the glass of juice she had collected from a passing waiter.

"Yeah, I am sure everything will go smoothly." Kemi smiled.

I hope so.

At least for my sanity's sake.

Dora tucked her thoughts away and smiled in response.

Her eyes traveled back to the people scattered around the room.

"You never told me what the event is all about."

"Well, nothing much. I guess rich people never need a reason to celebrate." Kemi released a laugh.