Chapter 41

I love all the unique things you see on each dive. Millions of little aquatic soap operas...between all the creatures. - Kirsten Hubbard

After relishing every bite of her breakfast, Dora allowed Gerald to whisk her to where the surprise waited.

She could barely keep her curiosity at bay and was tempted countless times to ask him what surprise awaited her.

Finally, after walking a distance, they halted at the less crowded side of the beach. And a man greeted them with a smile.

"Hey, Johnny man!" Gerald greeted the man with a hug.

"It's been so long, G! Where have you been hiding?"

Gerald chuckled. "I could ask you the same thing. Ever since I left Nigeria, you didn't bother to keep in touch."

"Ah, yeah; my bad! Some stuff just got to me." He sighed.

"Fair enough. I can relate to that." A pained expression crossed Gerald's eyes.

The man produced a smile of understanding and his eyes drifted to Dora. "Won't you introduce me to this beautiful lady?" His eyes twinkled.

Gerald wrapped an arm around Dora's shoulder and spared her a quick look. "Dora, this is John, one of my buddies."

Dora looked at the man and sent him a polite nod and a smile.

Gerald turned to the man. "And Johnny, this is Adaora, a close friend."

Johnny grinned at Dora. "It's nice to meet you."

"Likewise," Dora muttered.

Dora surveyed the area with the hope of getting a hint about the surprise. But nothing stood out. The numerous people lounging on the beachside and the ongoing volleyball game were nothing uncommon.

"Can we get started?" Gerald asked.

"Not yet. Just a few minutes more, we are waiting for the other couple."

"Okay! No problem."

Dora's brows wrinkled as different thoughts ran through her mind.

Gerald and Johnny filled the silence with their catching-up talk.

"Here they are!" Johnny exclaimed.

Dora turned around and came face to face with a man and a woman in shorts and white T-shirts.

"This is Teresa and Timi!" Johnny said with a smile. "They will be joining us in our scuba diving session."

"Scuba diving?" Dora rasped out and swung to face Gerald.

A soft smile played on Gerald's lips. "Surprise," he whispered against her ear.

A thrill crept up Dora's spine and she couldn't stop the smile that formed on her lips. The caramel streaks swirling in his eyes drew her in.

"Are you guys ready?" Johnny's voice snatched their attention.

Gerald sent Dora a questioning look. "Are you ready?"

"Yes."

"That's great. So let's run over some things."

Minutes flew by with the group listening to various safety rules and guidelines. Next, they went over the process of wearing their diving gear and costumes.

Dora and Teresa were given a skin suit to wear beneath their diving suit. They ambled to the nearby beach changing room and slipped into the costumes.

The navy blue material clung to Dora like extra skin. A bout of shyness washed over her.