Chapter 45

Keep It Alive
Events in your life will try to extinguish it. It's your job to keep that fire burning! -Unknown

A few weeks later...

Blazing flames from a campfire sent red sparks into the air. Its light glowed on the faces of the people sitting around it and the heat seeping into the atmosphere warmed the hearts of the people.

A smile graced Dora's lips as her eyes roamed around. Her eyes touched the faces of the people she cared about and who cared about her.

"I can't believe my wedding is in two weeks," Tara said from beside her.

Dora turned to face her and smiled as she watched ecstasy burn in the eyes of her daughter. Equal joy shimmered in her own eyes.

"You better start believing it because more good things are going to happen in your life."

"True. And in your life too." A soft smile played on Tara's lips. "We deserve all the happiness and we should grab it once it comes."

"Exactly!" Dora's eyes sparkled.
"If we don't embrace happiness when it comes then it can go."

"And that would be so terrible," said a new but familiar voice.

Dora swung to the person who had taken the seat beside her.

"I'm glad you could make it." She grinned.

"Of course, I wasn't going to miss it for the world. It's not every day my two favorite people arrange a get-together."

Dora smiled. "That's true. So many good things have happened in our lives so we thought it would be nice to celebrate with everyone we hold dear."

"You guys made the right decision. And the theme you chose is the best. I mean, there is something alluring about gathering around a fire."

"Yeah, that's true." Dora nodded with a smile playing on her lips. "Anyway, how's work?"

"Tiring. I don't understand how some clients think they know my job better than I do. Why did they hire me to defend them if they knew it all?"

Dora chuckled. "I know the feeling. It's the same thing with the parents of my students."

"Psst, I guess it's everywhere then."

"Yeah, unfortunately, it is."

"Anyway, leave all that. How are you? It's been quite a while since we caught up on things."

"Hmmm, I'm good. Just being busy with wedding preparation and then work."

"Ahh, those are good things to keep you occupied. But you must make time for yourself to relax."

"Well, I spend most of my free time with Gerald and he makes sure when I'm with him I relax." A smile hovered on Dora's lips as she spoke.

"Ahh, that's wonderful. Seriously I am happy things are settled in your life now. "

"And it's partly because of you. So thank you for everything." Gratitude shimmered in Dora's eyes.

"Don't thank me. I did my duty as both a lawyer and your friend."

Dora smiled and shook her head. "I don't think I would ever be able to pay you."

"You speak nonsense." Kemi narrowed her eyes. However, an expression akin to mischief filled her. "Though if you really want to pay me then there's something you can do."

Dora's brows drew together. "What's that?"

"Simply remain happy and always consider me a friend." A slow grin split on her face.