• C h a p t e r 1

POV Aurelia:

"Aurelia get your lazy ass off the couch and help me make spaghetti!" That's Claire, my crazy roommate/best friend. We've been friends since kindergarten and have been inseparable since then. She is dramatic as hell, but in the end you have to learn to live with it.

We tell each other everything, well, everything we want the other to know. For example, I accidentally broke her favourite mug. I had to look everywhere to find a new, similar mug so that it wouldn't be noticed that the real one was gone.

To this day, she still doesn't know. I do still feel guilty though, but I promised myself I would tell her one day.

Everything is peaceful between us, sometimes there is a disagreement, but that's normal. However, lately I have noticed that she is a bit distant. She leaves the house more often and always smiles at her phone. So my suspicion is that she is seeing someone.

She would have to be careful if that was the case, because men these days... Her ex-boyfriend broke her heart into many, many pieces, making Claire a crying mess. It took a long time for her to get back on track, but she succeeded and came out much stronger.

I sigh as I leave the comfortable couch and step towards the kitchen.

"Wouldn't you have been better off taking that one cooking class your mother offered you?" I advise her and watch her struggle with the kitchen supplies. Who can't make damn spaghetti? It's like the simplest recipe on earth.

"No?" she scoffs, clearly still struggling. "I can cook perfectly fine, I just prefer to do it with two." Making her statement, she sets the kitchen equipment down and narrows her eyes at the smug grin plastered on my face.

"Yeah sure, remember that one time you made pizza and almost the whole oven was on fir-" Claire quickly interrupts me by waving her hand in front of my face . "You don't have to remind me every time, and besides I can't help it that the timer didn't go off."

She keeps telling herself that, so here is the real truth. She had set the timer for an hour instead of 6 minutes.

"Yeah, yeah, keep saying that to yourself." After shaking my head at her weak excuse, I finally ask her what I should do. She is an idiot for sure, but also my best friend and I love her with all my heart, sounds corny, but doesn't make it any less true.

"Can you make the sauce, then I will cook the pasta if that's okay?" she asks sheepishly, knowing that the sauce is the hardest part.

"All right, just tell me when you're done, so we can watch Harry Potter and eat ice-cream." I've been dying to watch Harry Potter again and I'm sure Claire wouldn't miss out on a movie night.

"Aye-Aye Captain!" She salutes me with her hand and then throws the pieces of pasta into a pot of water. The water splashes out of the pot, making a mess. It's already going great.

•——————•°•✿•°•——————•

"Ugh, I can't take any more ice cream" groans Claire from exhaustion. 

"Same, my stomach is so full." I really think I'm going to explode. The pasta was already a great deal and then the ice cream finished it off.

A comfortable silence lingers and I shift slightly until Claire abruptly speaks up, causing me to twist my head. "Shit, what time is it?" She stumbles off the couch and looks around slightly panicked, leaving me confused.

I reach for my phone in the pocket of my hoodie and read the time. "It's half past eight. What's wrong?"

"Damn it! I have to be somewhere in half an hour" she takes the pots of ice cream and puts them on the kitchen table before rushing to the bathroom to take a shower.

I frown at her sudden speed to leave and walk towards the ice cream pots she had left on the kitchen table. I throw them into the right bin and walk back to the couch and throw myself into it. I'm quite tired after the movie and would prefer to sleep for the rest of the day.

While I'm dozing off, I hear Claire slam the bathroom door quite aggressively.

I shoot upright and point at her. "Calm down, will you. That poor door, what has it done to you?" I laugh at the current state she's in. She has trouble putting her shoes on properly and her bottles of shampoo in her other hand make it very difficult to tie her laces.

She only shoots a quick glance my way and throws her bottles on the ground to tie her shoelaces better. "Stupid bottles." she mumbles as she straightens up and picks them back up from the floor, then throws them in the bin.

"Will you write down that we have to buy new shampoo" In the blink of an eye, she is up the stairs, leaving me bewildered.

I don't bother answering and walk over to our shopping list to write it down.

After ten minutes, she comes back downstairs with a denim jacket over her outfit and her handbag around her shoulder.

"I'm not going to stay here overnight, so is it bad if you sit alone for a while?"

"But, where are you going?"

Completely ignoring my question, she is already walking towards the door, so I have no choice but to answer her previous question, not that I really have one.

"Don't worry I can handle myself, have fun. I guess?" Taking one last sceptical look at her, I think of all the possible things that could happen.

What if someone breaks in and steals my big One Direction poster? It's a limited edition with all their signatures. I mean, it's the best piece I have from them.

I wave her off from the door and she grins before giving me an air kiss. Something is definitely up. She's keeping things from me, I am sure, but I'm not going to ask her further. She will find the right moment to tell me, if she wants to, of course.

•——————•°•✿•°•——————•

So here I am lonely in our small house.

Again, simply great...

After going through every inch of our house in boredom, I sigh and plop down on the couch. What can I do on my own?

Maybe I should do something with my life, because it's not very interesting right now. To see all those people on social media living their best life, maybe I should also make something of my life. I don't know where this idea came from, but I am determined.

So, I can bake cookies. Nevermind, we don't have any flour anymore. I groan in irritation.
Maybe I can clean the house? Nah, I'm too lazy for that. And besides it's almost nine. Who cleans their house at nine o'clock?

What on earth can I do? I look around the house for anything that might spark an idea. This is useless. I turn on the TV and the first thing that pops up is a documentary.

The documentary is about sea life.

Wait a minute.

I can go to the beach. It has been a long time since I've been there. And the fresh air will do me good, besides beach night walks are fun. Thanks documentary. Going up the stairs, I put on something better and then head out the door.

Author's note:

So, this is my first chapter.
I hope you liked it and again sorry if there are any mistakes.
I know it's a short chapter, but I hope you enjoyed it.

[edited 7 April 2023]

Lots Of Love

-Camille