XXV - Trepidation

Kinsley's POV

  It took me a while to find Hayden and when I did find him he was sitting outside bundled up in a warm burgundy jacket, his hay blonde hair coming out of the stripped black and white hat he had on his head. I smile he looks Innocent among the white snow that is falling above head. 

  I clear my throat, and he turns his head around, his eyes were a deep warm gold. Everyone seems to be on edge lately, the soften to a warmer gold one that isn't ready to kill. 

"Kinsley." He breathe out the white puff of his breath greets me. I wrap my scarf around my neck and mouth, not enjoying the cold that is greeting me. 

"Hayden, How've you been?" I ask him walking towards the steps that he is sitting on a cleared space under his tush. 

"A whole hell of a lot better than you it seems." He says giving me a light chuckled as he scoots over leaving me some space to sit down with him. My butt touches the cold ground and I feel a shiver course up my spine, but I sit down anyways. 

"I think a lot of people are doing better than me right now." I tell him honestly sighing, and looking up at the  falling snow above me. Its already coated the ground and tree in a new layer of snow, it was going to be a long winter.

"All the ones that aren't Hybrids right now are, but if they are they are in the same boat as you. Have the test finally stopped?" He asks me reaching a hand over to touch my face. I give him a small smile.

"I think for now they are done, but I know this is only because I am on the Council. They still think they  can boss me around. But whats new when it comes to that?" I sigh and turn my head away from his touch. And towards the snowy woods, listening to the wild life the teams underneath the white snow and underbrush.

"Your not a lab rat, that they can poke and prob as they want!" He growls angered more than I would have expected.

"It's a side effect of being an Alpha Female on the council, I have to do this or they probably make me forfeit my seat and pack. Which I will do neither, it's in my best interest to keep within that tight circle power than being on the outside of it again!" I tell him a little more sharply than I would have liked but he releases a lung full of air. Titling his head back as he lets the snow fall on his face.

"How is Six taking everything?" He ask me and its my turn to tilt of my  head. And let out a puff of air into the crisp fresh air around me.

"Better than I am." I mumbled into the frosty air, my lips feeling dry and I give them a quick swipe of my tongue. Trying to keep them from getting dry enough to crack. 

"How so?" Hayden ask me, his tone curious.

"He's more optimistic about the situation, but blinded by it in a way as well. He doesn't understand that when our children are born they will be taken and studied under a microscope twenty four hours a day all day for the rest of their time living." I hiss in utter disgust at the thoughts that are running through my head at all the hardships that they will have to face.

   And I wonder if what I plan to do is any better than the life they would have with me. When I gave them away they would grow up under the pretext that their mother and father are dead. And I would have to bear not having them near me. The emotional turmoil I felt only increased my anxiety, and I wanted to run away to. To run away with my children.

   But I was the leader, I was a guide post that kept everyone in my pack united, everyone safe, it was my job and one that I didn't take lightly. Guide the masses or indulge in a selfish pursuit. Although, in all reality is it selfish to want to be with your children?