Chapter 21: Talk

Izuku resisted the urge to slam his head into the window Hawks was sliding open. He’s such an idiot. It was meant to distract Hawks, not himself! 

Jump off while you still can. His brain tells him. Izuku spares a glance behind him and stumbles. He had not expected to be so high up. Great, so he can't even jump down in hopes of surviving the fall and escaping. 

"C'mon in," Hawks called. With a small sigh, Izuku resigned to his fate and followed in wordlessly. 

Inside, Hawks gestured for him to take a seat on the single couch and himself sat down on the couch against the wall. The apartment wasn't what he had imagined. Clean and simple. The furniture was mostly in black. A hint of red here and there and sometimes white. It was bare except for a few pictures hung up on the wall. A photo of Mirko and him was hung against the wall behind Hawks, one of when he was announced the third top hero was hung next to a bookshelf in the corner. 

The apartment was modern and it wasn't empty by any means. There was a nice kitchen right behind Izuku, the flooring was better than his apartment's, some walls were coloured black, the others white. There were artificial plants hanging across the wall and on most of the tables and shelves. The apartment was decorated and well, cool but it just felt a little… lonely. Izuku would know. His apartment feels the same. It’s why he spends most of his day at Despresso. 

A feather passed by him and placed a cup of tea in front of Izuku and one in front of Hawks on the table that was present between the couches. Another passed by and set down some chips and cookies. 

"I'm assuming you haven't had lunch yet." Hawks said.

"Ah no,” Izuku waved his hand around, “you don't have to. I'm not hungry and I'm kinda in a hurry. I can't stay long." Izuku explained. If he couldn't pull one of his vigilante stunts, then he could at least try and negotiate. 

Izuku's foot was repeatedly tapping against the hardwood floor in his excitement. He was trying to not let it show because he didn't want to get distracted again but he had so many questions about Hawks' quirk. And from what he just saw, Hawks could control his feathers to make tea! How cool was that! This was so going in his analysis notebook later. 

Hawks picked up the tea and took a sip, "So is that why you jumped out of a window on the fourth floor? ‘Cause you were in a hurry?" 

Izuku huffed a small laugh at the sarcasm. He wasn’t wrong but Izuku didn't think he would be so blunt about it. Izuku forced his foot to stop, "Yup, you're on the right track. I think you've already got the jist of what happened so just throw your questions at me. I'm sure you're a busy guy with loads of responsibilities so we best get this over with." 

Hawks looked over to the clock hanging near the kitchen, "Actually... my patrol just ended."

"But you have another one at four o'clock, don't you?"

"Yep! You know your stuff." A feather picked up the teacup from the handle and brought it in front of Izuku's face. Izuku was about to say something but decided against it and took it reluctantly. 

"Alright, I'll get on with it." Hawks said after Izuku took a sip of the tea. Chamomile. His mind supplied. Izuku loved chamomile tea. It brought up some nice memories of his mom too...

"Do you live in that abandoned building which just so happens to be connected to a bar?" 

"Nah." Izuku took a bite of a cookie. He was starving so might as well help himself. Plus, what kind of monster would say no to cookies?

"So you aren't related to 'Handman' and 'Mistman'?" Hawks questioned. 

Izuku coughed. Izuku did not want to think about that. He put his tea down. “I- no, that’s- that’s weird to think about.” Izuku shook his head.