6. Sexual Tension

I knew if Chris left I would let the past haunt me. If I went down that road again it would be disastrous. As much as I need to stay away from Chris I just can't help myself.

I'm glutton for punishment that's what it is.

"Hey Spitfire you ready to go?"

Chris looks at me expectantly and I have to snap out of all my consuming thoughts.

"Oh yeah sure."

I grab my phone and purse and we head out. Once at his car Chris lifts my chin to look at him.

"Where did you go?" I don't want him to see me any more vulnerable or pathetic then I already feel. I put on a smile and hopefully he can't see through it. "No where, I'm right here. Just thinking if I had anything else I need to do." He looks at my features intently, shrugs his shoulders, and opens my door for me. If he saw something he didn't say anything, which I'm grateful for.

When he starts driving the atmosphere changes. This close together, I swear I can feel the heat radiating off him...or is that me?Chris clears his throat and I look over at him.

"I know you got something to say, just say it."

He looks at me quickly, then looks back at the road. "So what do you want to do after we graduate?" I start laughing of all the questions, that's what he comes up with. "Seriously?" I look back at him and he is indeed being serious.

"I don't know. I mean I'm a spoiled rich bitch. To people I'm just a stuck up slut. Even if I haven't been with as many people as the rumors say."

Why the hell did I just tell him that?

Once we are at the football/jock/man whore house. *Okay so I made the last part up. But I mean come on guys, it's true and we all know it.* Chris cuts the engine and stares at me.

"What?" He scrutinize my face and I swear I felt naked with the look he was giving me. "None of that is who you are Spitfire. So who gives a shit what people think. I think you are one of the most real women out there. You don't take no one's bullshit. So if you are passionate about something, fucking do it." I'm stunned and left speechless he chuckles and squeezes my hand. "Come on Stace, Lucas just pulled up."

He hops out of his truck and comes around and opens my door. When he helps me out I feel that heat explode through my body again. I let go of his hand faster than I wanted to and walk over to Lucas.

"Need a hand there bud?" I have to distract myself from whatever the hell is happening between Chris and I.

"Oh hey Stace I never got to thank you properly for letting me borrow your car that day." I see his cheeks turn a slight pink and I see Chris eyebrows furrow together. "The day I threw the party he wanted to, but his ride left."

I don't know how much Chris knows but it's not my place to tell.

"Let's help you bring these in Luke."

For some reason I don't want Chris to know what happened. If he did, would he think less of me?

God why do I care what he thinks?

"House Party!" The boys yell and Lucas laughs and shakes his head. As we enter the house with the last of his boxes.

"Nah man I got shit to do." Lucas rubs the back of his neck nervously. I wonder what that is all about.

"Oh come on" Todd whines he's one of the jocks that thinks can get this pussy, but I'm nope not happening dude. "It's tradition."

"I got somewhere to be, but I'll be back." I see him look at Jaxon for a split second. When I look his way he is staring daggers at him.

Fuck that is some heated looks.

"Then you'll drink with us."

"Sure but only this one time on a weekday." He raises his voice, "Listen up fuckers. I'm only going to say this once. This is the only day during the week that we party. We leave it for the weekend and after we win our fucking games." Everyone hoots and hollers. "We are going to make it to the division championships this year but we have to be in top shape. Understand."

Fuck that is sexy as hell. A man who takes charge. I look at Chris and I wonder if he is like that. He winks at me and fuck my insides turn. This shit has to stop!

Everyone says yes Captain except for Jaxon. Lucas raises an eyebrow at Jaxon. "Got something to say Reynolds."

"No, why the fuck would I?"

"That's what I thought." Lucas gives Jaxon a smug sexy smirk. If I didn't know they were into each other, I'd melt at that look. I giggle to myself because the look on Jaxon's face says it all.

"We got this Luke go do what you have to do." He nods his head at Chris and leaves. Why does Chris have to be such a great guy?

"What the fuck he's got you doing his shit now?'

Chris shrugs his shoulders in his laid back manner. "He's got a lot on his plate man, just helping out a friend."

Like I said too good to be true.

"Whatever!" Jaxon storms off and I see the sad look on Chris's face. I put my hand on his shoulder. "I'll talk to him."

I walk off and see Jaxon grab a drink. I smack his shoulder hard. Fuck that hurt my hand. I forgot how much muscle this man has.

"What the hell is your problem Jaxon?"

He slumps his shoulders and looks around. It's like he is making sure no one could hear us. "Nothing, he just gets on my fucking nerves. Thinking he is all high and mighty."

"Bullshit Jaxon! I see the way you both look at each other. The tension can cut with a knife."

He runs his hands over his face. "I don't know Stace and I rather not talk about it. I just want to forget it all."

I just shake my head and walk away. One of the guys puts his arm around my shoulder. "Hey red how about we dance?" I tense from that nickname but shrug him off.

"I'm good thanks." I walk away and start dancing with some of the girls trying to forget, but nothing is helping until I feel hands around my waist.

"You good Spitfire?" He whispers in my ear. Goosebumps form all over my body.

"Yeah just trying to get out of my own head."

We are close to the stairs when I see Jaxon with a girl and Lucas walks by. "Man you can sense the tension between those two." Chris says and I nod in agreement, until I register what he says. I turn around, "What?"

"Oh come on Stace, you should know when someone has the chemistry." He stares into my eyes, and I know he is not talking about them anymore.

"I gotta go."

I run out of there so fast my head starts to spin.

"Spitfire!"

Chris catches me and spins me around. "Why are you running away?"

"I just got to go."

"Please come back and let's have some fun."

"I can't I'm sorry Chris."

If I don't leave now, I know the tears are going to fall down.

I'm not weak... I'm not weak anymore.

To make matters worse I do the one thing I promised myself I wouldn't do again. I lean in and kiss his gorgeous lips. He brings me closer to him and our tongues dance together. When I pull away I am gasping for breath.

"Goodbye Chris."

I start walking away and I can feel his eyes on me. I hear something smash behind me, and that's when the first tear falls. It's just sexual tension between us, that's all it is. All it will ever be.

I'm so sorry Chris, I'm no good for you.