Lifetime's Responsibility

Tapur's POV

Our Das Haveli is decorated with large flowers and garlands and a huge name plate at the entrance where Tapur aur Neel Ki Shaadi is written in bold letters. Almost all guests have come from our side but the groom's side is yet to come. I have been searching a place to stay alone for sometime for so long but I couldn't. There is chaos everywhere which is giving me headache. Moreover I am starving for the whole day and will have to starve till the marriage gets over. Bondita Didi and Tupur Didi are getting me ready while I am staring blankly at the mirror. Everyone is happy except me for whom everyone is happy. My eyes are drooping down and I am struggling to have them wide open.

You can't just sleep!!

I have told myself more than ten times. The closing of door broke my trance and I roamed my eyes through the whole room and found everyone had left leaving me and Bondita Didi alone. Bondita Didi is the only one to whom I can share my feelings with and she would try to understand rather than bombarding on me and preventing me from speaking further. Leaving me alone and leaving me with Bondita Didi are the same as Bondita Didi would never try to interrupt my thoughts and talks.

"Kuch kehena hain to keh sakti hain." Bondita Didi said reading my mind.

Seeing my gloomy face she very well understood I was not in a mood to talk. She too choosed to remain quiet. A deadly silence prevailed in the room except for the sounds of our light breaths until Thakumaa intruded in.

I squeezed my eyes lightly to prepare myself to hear her non-stop talkings. Why can't she leave me alone? She has,of course come here to explain me about a Sansarik Jeevan which would go above my head.

Sitting beside me and gesturing Bondita Didi to close the door, Thakumaa held my hand and started, "Tapur teri shaadi hone wali hain aaj. Aaj ke baad tu humara nahi rehegi, apne saasuraalwalon ka ho jayegi. Isiliye woh log jaisa keh waise hi karna. Unn logo ko khush rakhne ke liye tujhe jo karna pade karna. Agar jaan bhi dena pad jaye na apne pati ke liye, to jana dene se pehele ek baar bhi maat sochna."

Her thoughts seemed impractical to me but I couldn't argue so I nodded my head in affirmation.And to the rescue Bondita Didi didn't utter a word. But how is it possible? If something seems impractical to her she shall do anything to change it.

"Par Thakumaa...."And there she started,"Ab agar Tapur ke saasuraal walen uske saath kuch galat kare,phir bhi kya woh ussey seh legi?"

Her questions weren't wrong actually. But Thakumaa was very disturbed with them.And the reason was she had no answers to these questions. Thakumaa turned towards Bondita Didi with an impassive look and said, "Saasuraalwalon ka seva karna aur Pati ka dard kaam karna aurat jaat ka dharm hota hain.Jo ki tu nahi kar payi aur isiliye hi to tere Pati ne tujhe chod diya.Ab Tapur ko bhi maana kar rahi hain tu meri baat naa manne se? Kyun Bondita? Tu chahti hain kya ki Tapur ke saath bhi wahi ho jo tere saath hua hain. Tune apna zindagi to barbaad kar diya, par Tapur ki zindagi barbaad maat kar."

Saying this she turned towards me. Tears welled up in Bondita Didi's eyes but she rubbed it to let it go unnotice by us. The harsh words that Thakumaa used pierced her soft and innocent heart. She went out without a word. I too didn't stop her as leaving her alone for a moment is necessary. If I could, I would have bombarded on Thakumaa for hurting Bondita Didi. But I can't.But I can try to make Thakumaa realise her mistake because she was wrong especially because Bondita Didi is the only reason behind my to be happy life.

"Thakumaa aapne Bondita Didi ko yeh sab baate keh kar sahi nahi kiya. Bohot dukh hui hogi unhe."

She chuckled and said mockingly, "Taane sunna aur dukha sehena, aurat ke bhagya mein hi likha hota hain."