Everlasting Smile

Bondita's POV

Walking through the narrow lanes,my mind was stuck at the thought of the British Officer.After introducing myself as a Barrister,I talked to him about my plans to build a school for girls and that I will be needing a land for the school.And then I left the place as it was getting late and I was running out of my patience.

The work for which I had gone there was fulfilled and with that his over confident was shattered,in front of a woman.On reaching my home,I hesitated to enter thinking about Thakumaa's ceaseless scoldings.

Leaving a sigh,I finally entered.But why is the house so calm?It can never be when Thakumaa and Barrister Babu are together.They were never a match,like oil and water.I entered with slow steps and a voice stopped me,

"Ghar aane mein der se aana aur jaldi khana,yeh dono aurat ko karna nahi chahiye."

And there she is,presenting her ever mocking words.This is a real talent to make any sentence so perfectly rthymical and mock everyone at the same time.But I am used to all these and I will not get disturbed.

"Bondita!!?"My exclaimed in shock and rushed towards me before engulfing me in a bone crushing hug.

Why were all so tensed?Am I so late? No I am not.I am only one hour late.It's only 3:00 pm.

I looked at Barrister Babu who have descended down the stairs with Maa and he gave a warm smile.Has he lost his voice?Why is he not talking to me?God knows!!!

"Itni der kyun lagi tujhe?"Shouted Thakumaa.

"Pata nahi tujhe,ek aurat ka itne der tak ghar ke bahar rehena sobha nahi deta?"

"To kya karna sobha deta hain ek aurat ko?"I retorted back.

"Thodi baat thodi laat,tabhi samjhe aurat jaat.Bujhechis?" I rolled my eyes at her words as these are common for me and walked to my room.

Sumati's POV

Thakumaa and I were gazing at Bondita's face which was blank.What must have happened there?I have said Thakumaa to give her some time to rest as she might be tired.But does anyone listen to me in this house?It was urgent for Thakumaa to talk Bondita and to know what had happened.

"Kuch bolegi bhi ya aise muh mein dahi jamake baithi rahegi?"Frowned Thakumaa and irritation was clear on her face.

"Kuch bolna Bondita."I too said and patted her head.

"Uss British Officer ne kaha ki woh sochke dekhenge ladkiyon ke liye vidyalay banane ke baare mein.Par mujhe nahi lagta ki woh itni asaani se mujhe ek pura zameen de denge."Said a tensed Bondita.

"Agar na de to hi sahi hain." Thakumaa swayed her hands.

"Kyun?Aap kyun chahte hain ki ladkiyon ke liye vidyalay na bane?"

"Ladki aur lakdi,ek na ek din tootna hi padhta hain.Aur jitni jaldi toot jaye utna hi accha hain."

"Thakumaa,aap lakdi ke saath ladkiyon ki tulna kar rahe hain?" Bondita asked in exasperation.

"Haan kar rahi hun."The other emphasized her words.Though I can sense the arguement that will break soon but I am helpless as I can never stop them.

"To ladkiyon ko mazboot banana hoga.Aur unhe mazboot banane ke liye shiksha ki bohot zaroorat hain." Bondita said maintaining a smile on her face.

"Kya hoga ladkiyon ko mazboot bana kar?"

Bondita left a sigh before again looking straight into Thakumaa's eyes."Agar lakdi ko sahi jagah istamaal kiya jaye,to ussey bohot kuch ban sakta hain.To waise hi agar ladkiyon ko sahi shiksha mile aur agar woh sahi rah pe chal sake,to woh log bhi aage chal kar iss desh ka naam roshan kar payegi,andhkar mein roshni ban payegi.Aur uske liye sahi shiksha ki bohot zaroorat hain unhe."