A Small Victory

Author's POV

Life had never been easy for her,her struggle started the day she was born as a girl child for people had never wanted her to be a girl,and her struggle would go on till the last breath she will take.She had always been left alone,be it by her father and now her mother.But the one who had never left her and would never do, was her Barrister Babu,the only man after her father who would do anything for her,even without her demanding things.

The refreshing and cold air touched her soft skin,making her to take a heavy breath.Even the calm environment couldn't soothe the havoc wreaking within her.Her heavy heart made her to sufficate from inside.A warm streak of tear rolled down on her cheeks as she squeezed her eyes lightly,leaving its mark on her cheeks.Closing her eyes softly,she leaned back on the sit of the car while her Maa's words flashed in her mind.

Flashback

Bondita tip-toed her way down the staircase,though she knew all were well aware of her presence.Rimjhim as always rolled her eyes while Sumati shared a nervous glance with Kalindi who didn't look back at her.

"Bado ki izazat ke bina ghar se bahar jaana aur apni izzat kho dekar bhi sar ucha karke jeena,yeh dono ka adhikar sirf mardo ko hi hain."Kalindi blankly spoke,more to herself.

Heedless to her Thakumaa,Bondita went to Sumati to take blessings.She kept the bag on the floor and knelt down to touch her feet when Kalindi again interrupted.

"Apni baccho ko zyada sar pe chadana aur baccho ke samne sar jhuka lena,ek Maa ka dharm nahi hota."

Letting out a frustrated sigh to herself, Bondita picked up her bag from the floor and was about to make her way outside for she did not want Kalindi to interrupt anymore.

"Ruk jaa Bondita."

Her Maa intruding in,was the last thing she wanted.And now she has no way left but to handle the situation, before it goes out of hand.

"Tu kahi nahi jayegi."Sumati strictly decreed.Paying no heed to her decree,Bondita put her steps forward.

"Agar tune ek bhi pao aage badhaya to tu meri mara hua muh dekhegi."

Bondita's steps halted as these words reached her words.Her heart was already burdened with all the disappointments she faced from her parents and these words wrenched her heart.

She was stucked between two choices,her mother or her dream which wasn't only her dream but someone else's too.

She took her feet back and a vicious smirk came on Kalindi's lips. Bondita took in a deep breath before stepping outside the house,thus leaving behind all attachements she had,for her responsibility.

Flashback ends

The only thing she wanted was her Maa's blessings and that warm smile of her,that could bring a smile to her own lips,even in the toughest situation.But she wasn't lucky enough to get what she wanted.

The car stopped with a screech and she opened her eyes to feel the warm rays of sun falling on her lids,that took her out of her trance.

"Yeh aap rakh lijiye."She paid the money to the driver.

"Nahi nahi choti malkin.Chote Malik ko bilkul bhi accha nahi lagega agar unhe pata chala ki maine paise liya hain aap se."He said with a supressed fear in him.

"Aapke Chote Malik ko pata nahi chalega."She assured him with a smile.She placed the note on his palm before he went away.

Bondita now turned back and had a look of the court.Never in her life she had seen it.She had always imagined herself in a court with the Barrister robe wrapped around her and her Birristra Babu watching her proudly and clapping his hands,thus making her proud of herself.