July 22nd

July 22nd 2004

July 22nd 2004

"Dexter." Zoe Klein called out as she shut his bedroom door. "Dexy, wake up." She whispered as she walked over placing her items by his bed. "Dexter." Zoe groaned as she ripped away the blankets from his head.

"Zoe," Dexter groaned, "I'm trying to sleep. What do you want?"

Zoe's smile faded as she stared at the black and blue eye her brother had. It's been almost two years since Elise Klein walked out on her family, leaving the kids to suffer alone in the hands of an acholic and physically and mentally abusive Frank Klein.

Dexter sat up as Zoe stared at him, "Just forget about it." He whispered as he turned on the light. Zoe quickly reached over turning it off as she grabbed the cupcake with a candle in it and a lighter. She lit the candle as she held it between them.

12:00 

The clock flashed the time as Zoe smiled at her brother, "Happy birthday Dexter." She whispered. "Happy birthday Zoe." He said with a chuckle. The twins never spent their birthday alone, it was a tradition that they both hoped would continue until they left for college. Even then the two had dreams of them calling each other on their birthday.

The one day that they would feel important. The one day that was theirs. The one day that frank Klein was actually kind, well kinder to them.

"Make a wish." Zoe said as the two closed their eyes.

A wish to find love. A love so epic that they would never want to leave. A love that made them actually important.

A wish was made to find happiness.  A life where they can actually get out of their path and find someplace to make them feel welcome.

"On the count of three." Dexter said as he started to count down.

"One."

"Two."

"Three"

The twins quickly blew out the candle making the room dark.

July 22nd 2011