Chapter 62 - Conflicted

"Welcome to Nightfall, Pier," Ciaran said and Pier widened his eyes.

"Nightfall...?" He asked and Ciaran nodded his head.

"It's the name of the second mountain, which is basically our home and it is also the name of our group," He explained and Pier had an amazed look on his face.

Who would even think of building their own shelter at a mountain range that is so dangerous only a few people can even get into the first mountain?

"Why'd you build your home here...?" He asked. Hex and Clone both stiffened at the question but Ciaran still had a calm demeanor.

"I will tell you when we get to the site," He told Pier and the young master nodded his head.

"What? Shadow you can't tell him! Even though he's a help for us you can't!" Hex retaliated with an angry face and Pier turned to look at the vampire-like person.

'I thought vampires have cool heads, I guess it was a false rumor,' He thought as he watched Hex ramble about keeping their secret.

Pier was baffled too with how Ciaran was willing to tell him the story because it seemed like the group named Nightfall was keeping it as a very huge secret.

He scanned his eyes around the group of people who emerged from the black smoke and he saw they also have anxious stares passed through each other.

'It sounds like it's something highly confidential!' He was even more curious about it after seeing their reactions but he also knew where his boundaries were.

'Ciaran's probably my only ally here but seeing that they call him 'Chief', I guess he had some sort of high ranking in this group,' Pier thought as he scanned the surroundings. Ciaran was talking with Hex but Clone was watching him.

'What's with her?' He covered his face more when he saw the woman stare at him.

'I guess I should be more careful now that Ciaran said I needed to cover my face whatever the cost,' He adjusted the hood of his cloak and Clone smirked at the sight.

She slowly started to approach Pier. Her footsteps crushing some dried leaves as she neared him.

"Shadow told you to cover your face whatever may happen," Pier's eyes widened at her words.

"H-How did..."

"Oh, just guessing," She smiled and it gave Pier a creepier feeling with how she was smiling as if she won the lottery.

"I suggest you don't though," she spoke as she lightly laughed before walking towards where Ciaran and Hex were bickering.

'Why would she suggest that?'

He was even more anxious now that he had met Ciaran's group.

Was this the group that murdered the Mayor's attendant back at the boundary?

Their cloaks definitely matched that of the one he have seen.

'Was the person who attacked me and Gideon here too?' He became highly alert at the thought as he scanned the group of people who introduced themselves to him.

One of the persons present in the group could be the one who knocked Gideon out in an instant and the one who choked him close to unconsciousness. He shivered as he hugged himself with the warm coat.

It was cold inside the mountain range. The extremely tall trees were blocking the sunlight from entering the vicinity thus making it colder.

He was getting constant shivers as well from the horrendous memory of the Boundary and the Town Mayor's case.