Chapter 67 - Threat

"Since you are taking care of human children, do you know everything about them, Ciaran?" Pier asked as he walked beside the chief of Nightfall.

Ciaran stared at the path ahead of them and their footsteps were the sound that could be heard other than their voices.

He shook his head as a response.

"None of us are humans. We do not know how to properly take care of the children, especially since some of them are sickly. Vampires and Lycanthropes do not get sick easily as humans do," He spoke.

The sound of crickets started to go off in the background.

"We do sometimes venture into human-populated areas and observe how adults interact with the children. We learn a few but it is not enough for us to fully give them their needs," He continued.

Pier stopped walking and Ciaran did too.

The young master bowed down as he picked up a branch from the ground.

"If you want I can help take care of the children while I'm here," he offered and Ciaran had a surprised look on his face.

"Are you... sure?" He asked and Pier nodded his head.

He had nothing to do anyway while he was staying in Nightfall. Ciaran insisted to do everything for him along with the other members of Nightfall that all he could do was roam around the place and practice his magic sometimes.

It had already been a week since he had arrived in Nightfall.

He had already grasped the seriousness of the situation and every day, they are making the preparations for their actions to stop the rampage of the monsters from the fifth mountain.

"Do you have experience in taking care of children?" Ciaran asked as he eyed the young master curiously.

Pier shrugged his shoulders as he smiled.

"I don't, but I'm a human so I guess I can somehow relate to them...?" He was thinking about whether to make the phrase a question or a statement.

"I guess that makes sense," Ciaran spoke as he nodded his head.

They now arrived in the gathering area of every person in Nightfall. The area was not that grand. It was simply a good clearing that had a few cut trees left and right.

The place also had a warmer atmosphere because some of the trees that had been cut down no longer restricted some rays from the sun from entering.

This is where Pier would sometimes practice his magic alone without the other members seeing him or by requesting Ciaran for some private time.

He was still hiding under the cloak that Ciaran had given him. The man had lent him two more pairs so that he won't have to wear the same cloak all over again every day.

He did not know Ciaran's reason for keeping his face and his entire magic secret.

'I'm the one helping them, right? Why should I keep my magic a secret?' He wondered at times when Ciaran became extremely strict about the young master training alone but he had no qualms about it since he enjoyed the time he get all alone while training.

He had also improved. He did not read all those novels, manga, and other comic books where he was able to learn some cool action moves.

He played with the branch as if he were some sort of wizard and Ciaran watched as Pier do so.

"You really do act childishly for someone who is already eighteen," Ciaran commented and Pier rolled his eyes at Ciaran's remarks.

"So? I'm not creating a mess now am I?" He asked with his eyebrows raised at the man and Ciaran chuckled at the retort.