1.

***************************************************************************************

Chapter One : An Unexpected Arrival

***************************************************************************************

I cleaned up the dishes after dinner, placing the plates into the warm, soapy water. My Uncle and his friends had left the kitchen, and were chatting quite happily in the living room. I was content with washing up; the monotonous pace allowing my mind to wander.

My name is Hermione Granger, (though on legal documents, I was Hermione Barton), and I lived with the Avengers, also known as my various 'aunts and uncles'. Only Clint was biologically my Uncle; being brothers with my father. The rest of the team had been brought into the family not long after I'd met them.

My parents had died in a car accident, about a month into the summer holidays of my fourth year at Hogwarts.  I had decided to stay at home and complete some summer homework, while my mother and father went out. The journey should have only taken them an hour. But when they hadn't come back after 4 hours had passed, I knew something was wrong. I waited anxiously all night, constantly checking my phone. 

But it wasn't until a police car had come to my house that dread had filled me. 

Dread turned to grief, which seemed to seep into every cell of my body. The funeral was short, with meaningless condolences muttered and sympathetic glances sent in my direction. That was also the day I met my Uncle for the first time. Since he was my only living relative, he had been offered custody of me. 

I agreed, and the rest was history. 

I'd never regretted my decision once, and welcomed the chaos that was my new life with open arms. The Avengers were a team of heroes, a group of remarkable people who wanted to do the right thing, and help others. But they were also a bunch of adult-size, enhanced children. I'd lost count of the amount of times I'd been caught in the middle of a prank war between Uncle Clint, Uncle Sam, Uncle Tony and Aunt Nat.

It was ridiculous. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I smiled softly, remembering some of the best moments since living here. 

The Avengers Tower had become a second home. 

My trip down memory land was cut short by a blinding light. I closed my eyes, wincing. The chatter from the other room continued, unaffected by the sudden beam of light that had disappeared as soon as it had come. I looked towards the balcony and saw two men who looked like they had crawled out of a history book. One was restrained; his wrists bound by clunky handcuffs that seemed to be nothing more than for appearance purposes.

I unsheathed my wand from its holster in my sleeve – Aunt Nat always said to be prepared – and crept towards the balcony. I slowly opened the door. Quietly, like a hunter stalking its prey, I approached the two strangers, one who seemed to be glaring at the sky with immense loathing, his companion joyfully admiring the famous New York skyline.

I decided to announce my presence, wanting to satisfy my curiosity, and determine whether or not they were a threat. "Excuse me?"

They turned to look at me.

The blonde one shot me a charming grin as he gave me a once-over – I assumed to check for weapons, but I could be giving him too much credit. He bowed his head in greeting, walking forward slightly. "Good evening, fair maiden. I am Fandral, member of the Warriors Three. Might I have the pleasure of knowing your name?"

I studied them curiously. 

'Fandral', as he had named himself, wore golden armour, accompanied with an ochre-red cape. In one hand, he held a scroll, and rested the other on the hilt of his sword. My eyes flickered over to his unknown associate – who looked familiar, but I just couldn't recall where I had seen him before. His hair was raven-black and came to his shoulders. He was attired in a leather green-and-black tunic, with golden embellishments. His eyes met mine with a curious gaze, and I found myself staring into pools of emerald; twinkling with mischief.

I mentally shook myself out of my thoughts and looked back at Fandral. "Hermione. Hermione Granger. Pleasure to meet you. Can I ask why you are here?"

"I am here in an official capacity, with a decree and prisoner from Asgard. All will be explained further, but for now, I should like to request an audience with the group of warriors known as the 'Avengers'. Would you be so kind as to lead me to them?"

A prisoner? That was curious indeed. I considered his request, eventually conceding. If they posed a threat, the Avengers were more than a match. I nodded, and turned to the door. 

"Follow me."