23.

***************************************************************************************

Chapter Twenty-Three - Realisations

***************************************************************************************

And as they kissed, a bright light twinkled from between them, then intensified to a blinding aureate, making the Avengers wince in pain and look away. The pair also noticed the glow and slowly pulled away, looking around in awe.

Thin, sparkling strands of green and black entwined with maroon and amber revolved around them, eventually merging into one thick band of gold. The room watched in stunned silence as the light died down, the curious circle of energy splitting in two and latching onto their right arms. Loki and Hermione winced in pain as it sunk into their skin and studied the mystical brand, which sparkled when the light caught it.

Finally, Clint cleared his throat and broke the silence.

"WHAT THE-"

***************************************************************************************

Hermione's POV:

The party had come to an abrupt halt after the Mistletoe Kiss between Loki and I. We all sat in silence, processing the events that had just occured. I looked at Loki, who sat next to me, his posture tense. Without a word, I slipped my hand into his. Immediately, he relaxed, however minutely.

"So, does anyone want to tell us what that was about? The light a-and the tattoos..." Uncle Clint stammered, looking expectantly at us.

I looked at my wrist, which bore the mark. It seemed to glisten when it caught the light of the sunshine through the window. I had a theory as to what had occured, but Loki, with all of his years of studying and practising magic would surely know more. He inhaled deeply, and looked at me for a minute or two before speaking.

"I have read many books on this topic, for it is rumored to be one of the rarest magical phenomenons in the universe. It is said when two individuals are perfectly fitted for each other in every way possible, they have what is known as a 'Soul Bond'. They are fated to end up together. The Fates declare it so. And one cannot live without the other."

This was quite a discovery, my head reeling as my mind tried to make sense of the new information.

"I don't mean to be a party pooper, but i feel the need to point out that you come from another realm, one whose inhabitants live at least 100 times of ours. What will happen to you if she dies?" Tony asked, looking concerned for Hermione's sake.

"When the initial bond is made, the pair's very essence, their souls are entwined so that they may never part. For example, if I should die, Hermione would find herself falling gravely ill, and would perish within a week, and vice versa. Because I am Asgardian, her lifespan will extend to match mine. Of course, she will need to eat one of Idun's apples to fully transition from mortal to Asgardian, otherwise her body would shut down before she had a chance to live that extended life."

"So you're saying-"

"I would become immortal? I would outlive my family? My friends?" I finished, fearing the answer.

"Yes." He said softly. 

A silent tear streaked down my cheek; my face displaying the internal pain I felt at the new revelation. Loki looked at me with understanding. Although he would rather compliment Thor publicly than ever admit it out loud, over the past few months of living on Midgard, the God had grown to become quite attached to the Avengers and would be saddened by their passing. He placed a hand over mine, squeezing it reassuringly. "But you will still have me, and Thor. And you will have your memories. You will never truly be alone. Do not distress yourself over things that are yet to happen. Enjoy the time that you have with them, and look back with fondness."

His words were comforting, though they did not completely take the pain away from the thought of losing everyone I love.

My family.

I gave him a wobbly smile, trying to get a hold on my emotions. He was right, thinking about the inevitable would only depress me.

"Why don't we take things slowly for now? There is no rush, and I am content to go at whatever pace is comfortable for you. In fact, I do not believe I have been on an outing with you since we bought those books back in August. Would you do me the honour of accompanying me to eat out tomorrow evening?" Loki asked quietly.

My smile widened.

Yes, I should like that very much."