21.

***************************************************************************************

Chapter Twenty-One - Christmas, Take Two

***************************************************************************************

 I spent two fun-filled days at the Barton Farm, before flooing back to the Avengers Tower. The team were moving to the new compound in the new year, so the tower was filled with moving boxes and piles of possessions, varying in size, colour and shape. It took constant vigilance to make sure I didn't trip crossing the cluttered room and was quite relieved when I got to the door. When I opened it and stepped into the living room, I was met with quite a shock.

The room was bustling, all the Avengers moving from place to place, with arms holding boxes filled with ornaments, decorations and tinsel. In the middle was Pepper Potts, Tony's girlfriend and CEO of Stark Industries, who had taken charge and was currently directing Thor on the placement of the tree.

"Here, Lady Pepper?"

"Slightly more to the left!" 

He moved to the left and looked back at Pepper, who smiled. 

"Perfect!"

Thor carefully lowered the tree, which stood majestically in the left corner of the room. Satisfied at yet another task complete, she thanked Thor for his help and called the team members carrying the decor for the tree over.

 I stood to the side, watching with a wide smile. Hogwarts, while beautiful at Christmas, held no contest compared to the feeling of family and warmth of home. Loki silently walked over to where I was standing, looking around the room with bewilderment.  "Would you care to enlighten me as to what exactly is happening here, my dear? What's the occasion?" He asked puzzled.  

I turned to him. "We're preparing for the annual celebration of Christmas, which is in two weeks. Though, I suppose you might know it better as Yuletide?" He inclined his head, confirming this. "Well, the two events are similar and many of the traditions and dates in each overlap. In recent years, the holiday's been commercialised, so there are some new customs." 

Loki nodded, taking in the information. "I see." He hesitated slightly before speaking. "Would you mind... showing me how to partake in these celebrations?" 

I smiled widely. "Of course. To the Kitchen!"

***************************************************************************************

We entered the kitchen, finding Wanda and Vision, who were quietly talking. They looked up at the sound of our arrival and greeted us.

"Hey Hermione, did you want something?" She asked. 

"I'm showing Loki how to celebrate Christmas, and what better way to start than by baking? You're more than welcome to join." I invited, to which they accepted. Once we had dressed in aprons and properly attired ourselves, I began to walk through how to make delicious mince pies. Somehow, despite certain mishaps, (One word: Flour), they were placed in the oven and left to bake. Wanda taught us how to make her mother's recipe for gingerbreadmen, of which we made enough to feed an army. 

"J.A.R.V.I.S, could you call the team in here?" I asked once the gingerbreadmen had been taken out of the oven and cooled. I'd whipped up several bowls of icing, sprinkles and other edible embellishments, while the others had sung Christmas carols and chatted. 

It was time.

"Of course Hermione."

The slight vibration of my drink was our only warning of the oncoming stampede of hungry, enhanced, and Christmas-loving superheroes. Like crazy people during a Black Friday sale, they ran through the kitchen doors and towards the delicious confections on the table.