25.

***************************************************************************************

Chapter Twenty-Five - Rescue

***************************************************************************************

The Avengers were calmly watching a movie when JARVIS alerted them to an explosion that had occured outside the theatre Loki and Hermione were supposed to have been at. Alarmed, Clint instantly whipped out his phone and dialled Hermione's number.

"Hermione's not answering her cell." And after another minute, announced that Loki had not picked up either.

"Incoming call from: HAPPY HOGAN."

JARVIS announced, making everyone turn to the TV. "Accept call. Happy, are you alright? What happened?" Tony asked. Happy's face appeared on the screen, slightly scratched up and hints of smoke and dirt evident on his face. He had a small sling around his wrist but otherwise, he was visibliy uninjured.

"I don't know, boss. One minute, I was getting out of the car, you know how good I am with faces, right? Well, this guy was acting sketchy, yeah? Just lurking around, eyeing up the car and everything. So I got out, went over to ask what his deal was. But when I got there, he was gone. I shrugged it off, thinking he was a weirdo, New York's full of 'em, and I got a text from Mr Odinson, sayin' they were coming out and to bring the car around. So I did. But about halfway to the car, Hermione kinda freezes, looking nervous. Then BOOM. Car exploded. From there, it's a blank, the explosion sent me shooting a metre onto my arm. I've got a sprained wrist but I'm alright."  Happy reported.

"Where are Hermione and Loki? Why aren't they picking up their phones?" Clint asked, worry building in his chest.

"That's the thing, boss. They're gone."

That sentence made everyone freeze. 

"G-Gone? What do you mean, gone?" Tony stammered.

"They're not here. I don't see 'em anywhere."

"And you have no leads? No clue as to who took them?"

"I think it was the security guards. I didn't see anything except the emblem briefly, on one of the guys' sleeves. Red, think it was some sort of squid or somethin', I didn't get a good look."

They cursed under their breath. "HYDRA. Alright, Happy, I'll get someone to pick you up and bring you back here. You sure you're okay?" Tony reiterated, concerned about his friend, and the fate of his niece and her... Loki.

"Just fine. I'll see you soon."

"Bye."

The call ended, and a heavy silence descended.

"Sound the alert. Call SHIELD, Fury, anyone and everyone you can think of. We need access to traffic cameras, the CCTV footage where the theatre is, anything that could give us a clue as to where Hermione and Loki are. If HYDRA's got them, who knows what's being done to them." Tony barked an order at JARVIS, pulling up various screens of CCTV footage.

"Sir, It appears Miss Hermione was able to press the distress button on her bracelet. The homing beacon was activated, and I have a vague area, but it stops suddenly, which leads me to believe whoever took her and Mr Odinson discovered it. They don't appear to have left New York."

"Then I will tear this city apart to find them. They can't be too far."

***************************************************************************************