20.

***************************************************************************************

Chapter Twenty : What Comes Up Must Come Down...

***************************************************************************************

3RD PERSON POV:

And so, the last stand against Ultron commenced. 

Hundreds of bots charged towards the church, but were held off by the Avengers. They fought hard and well, struggling through their fatigue and injuries. 

The Maximoffs were a particularly useful ally, their powers sending streaks of red and blue into the battle. Hermione sent dozens of spells, her new favourite being 'Bombarda', as it ensured that the robots wouldn't reassemble. Iron Man and Vision took to the skies, defending the core from above, while the others used their abilities to hold the line. 

In a particularly cinematic shot, Black Widow and Captain America flipped throught the air, dodging attacks while destroying the androids. Wanda collapsed several from the inside, while Thor smacked one from the air. Pietro zipped in and out, causing various robotic body parts to clatter to the ground. Hulk completely obliverated all who came after him. Barton fired arrows, Iron Man and Vision bringing air support, while Hermione and Loki worked in unison, like a well-oiled machine, sending spells, curses and hexes to the bots they fought. 

Vision sent Ultron flying into the courtyard outside the church with a beam from the Mind Stone. Thor, Iron Man and Hermione followed, Vision firing again, Thor joining in with a lightning strike, while Iron Man sent a repulsor beam. Hermione finished off the impressive strike of energy with a 'Reducto', causing Ultron to stumble slightly as he got up, sparks occasionally making an appearance.

"You know, with the benefit of hindsight-"

He was cut off as the Hulk punched him into next year, sending him shooting off in the air.

*************************************************************************************** 

Hermione's POV:

***************************************************************************************

"Yeah Hulkie!" I cheered, raising my hand in a fist pump to the air. He looked back and grinned, before turning to the remainder of the Ultron horde, which took several steps back, and attempted to escape.

"They'll try to leave the city." Thor called.

"We can't let them, not even one. Rhodey." Tony ordered.

"I'm on it. Oh no, I didn't say you could leave. War Machine coming at you! Right-" Rhodey was cut off, as Vision intervened, blowing up the remainder of Ultron. There was a stunned pause before Rhodey said in confusion. "Okay, what?"

We were called back into the church.

"We gotta move out. Even I can tell the air's getting thin. You guys get to the boats. I'll sweep for stragglers. I'll be right behind you." Cap spoke.

"What about the core?" Uncle Clint raised a good point, but the issue was resolved quickly as Wanda volunteered.

"I'll protect it." She looked at Uncle Clint and I. "It's my job." 

The team split up, doing last checks for civillians before evacuation. I went with Aunt Nat and Uncle Clint, climbing into the back of a dusty sports car. We drove towards the transports. "I know what I need to do. The dining room. If I knock out that east wall, it'd make a nice workspace for Laura, huh?" My Uncle voiced his idea out loud. "Put up some baffling, she can't hear the kids running around. What do you think?"

"You guys always eat in the kitchen anyway." Nat replied.

"Yeah, who even has a dining room these days?" I chirped in. "No-one eats in a dining room. " 

We pulled up outside the last of the lifeboats, the sound of the Hulk roaring made us all look up.

"We don't have a lot of time." He pointed out. 

"So get your ass on a boat." 

She ran off in the direction of the Hulk while Uncle Clint and I walked over to the lifeboat.

"COSTEL! We were in the market. COSTEL!" A woman called.

I looked at my uncle. He nodded. We could see the boy was trapped in some rubble. 

I cast a Wingardium Leviosa, lifting the debris, while my Uncle lifted the kid out. We were suddenly under fire from a Quinjet. I cast a 'Protego' to shield us from the barrage of bullets but it didn't work. We didn't have time to move out of the way, so my uncle turned his back to the bullets, shielding the kid and me. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a blue streak race in front of us and let out a horrified shriek.

"NO!"

The bullets stopped.

Uncle Clint was unharmed.

But the same could not be said for the speedster, who had several blood stains on his shirt.

He had taken the bullets.

"You didn't see that coming?" He said weakly, before collapsing to the ground.

I immediately rushed to him, casting dozens upon dozens of healing and stasis charms, hoping to keep him from death. I checked his pulse. It was so faint, I nearly missed it. But it was there. I'd saved him, though for how much longer I didn't know. 

"Clint, He's alive, but only just. He needs immediate medical treatment or there will be no saving him." I yelled.

Clint ran over, handing over the young boy to me before carefully picking up the limp body of Pietro. We ran to the lifeboat, medics running to our aid. Pietro was taken to the opposite side of the boat on a gurney. I could only hope he lived. My uncle all but threw himself onto a chair, utterly exhausted. I slumped next to him, hands stained with dirt and blood.

"Oh it's been a long day." He breathed.

I closed my eyes, and promptly fell asleep. 

***************************************************************************************

Uncle Clint and I landed back at the Barton Farm, after checking in on Pietro. 

He was in a coma, and there was no telling when, or if he would ever wake up, but he was alive, and that's what mattered. Wanda had showered me with thanks and hugs, relieved that her twin wasn't dead like she'd originally thought when he'd been shot. She was to stay and train with the Avengers, looking to help harness and control her powers.

Uncle Clint had 'officially' retired, and I had my OWLs to concentrate on. Hopefully, there wouldn't be another world-ending catastrophe in the next 3 years, muggle or wizarding, but I knew that was as likely as Steve jumping out a plane with a parachute. 

Better enjoy the peace while it lasts. I thought to myself.

Aunt Laura was boiling a kettle, while my cousins read on the sofa. She turned around and gasped quietly. I smiled widely, despite all my injuries, which dotted around my face. I walked over to her and embraced her tightly. She returned the hug and held her husband close. My cousins noticed we were back and came over, so it ended in a Barton family hug. I smiled contentedly. 

This was nice.