19.

***************************************************************************************

Chapter Nineteen : Sokovia Is Going For A Ride...

***************************************************************************************

The jet was on autopilot to Sokovia, and Cap had decided to give a pep talk.

"Ultron knows we're coming. Odds are, we'll be riding into heavy fire. And that's what we signed up for. But the people of Sokovia, they didn't. So our priority is getting them out. All they want is to live their lives in peace. And that's not going to happen today. But we can do our best to protect them. And we can get the job done. We find out what Ultron's been building, we find Romanoff, and we clear the field. Keep the fight between us. Ultron thinks we're monsters. That we're what's wrong with the world. This isn't just about beating him. It's about whether he's right." 

I looked over to Loki who looked at me, reassuringly. We would defeat Ultron. Because if we didn't, the Earth would die.

The plan began with Wanda evacuating as many civillians as she could, while Pietro alerted the authorities. Tony would try to stall Ultron. The rest of the Avengers also helped with evacuation, ushering cars and people out of the city.  We listened to the comms as Tony stalled with Ultron.

"This is how you end, Tony. This is peace in my time."

Without warning, dozens of Ultron robots, literally crawling out from the earth, started to advance on the Avengers and the frightened citizens of Sokovia. I decided to attack using muggle weapons to begin with, conserving my magical core strength until it was truly needed. Loading my gun, I sent bullet after bullet towards the metalheads, but, to my annoyance, for every one I destroyed, two more seemed to crop up. Just when things started to get overwhelming, both Loki and Pietro came to my assistance, Loki pushing them in Pietro's path, who smashed them into scraps using his super speed. A minute later and there were no Ultron bots within our vicinity for the moment. I chuckled breathlessly.

Teamwork really does make the dream work.

I nodded in thanks to them. Pietro smirked, and sped off elsewhere. Loki and I stuck together, blowing up bots in the sky, who were wreaking havoc upon the civillians. Eventually, we came across my Uncle, who was holding the bots off with his bow and arrows.

Wanda was also there, pulling people away from the bridge, before acting as a shield for the people behind her, creating a scarlet energy barrier. An Ultron bot fired repulsor blasts at her, which she deflected, but one caught her offguard, and she crumpled to the ground. I ran over and helped her up, checking she was uninjured, before reloading my gun while it was quiet. I only had two magazines left and then I would either have to fight with my bow, my daggers or my magic.  

Ultron must have done something drastic because the ground began to suddenly tremble violently.  The cobbled stone pavement started to split and collapse. We looked towards the bridge, which had been destroyed, a person jumping down. It seemed Sokovia, or at least part of it, was flying. 

And that couldn't be good.

"Do you see the beauty of it? The inevitability. You rise, only to fall. You, Avengers, you are my meteor. My swift and terrible sword. And the earth will crack with the weight of your failure." Ultron began to monologue, the duplicates of him echoing his words."Purge me from your computers, turn my own flesh against me. It means nothing."

Uncle Clint fired an arrow at one bot, cutting it off, but another one came up from behind, the message unaffected.

"When the dust settles, the only thing living in this world will be metal."