4.

***************************************************************************************

Chapter Four: A Discovery Is Made

***************************************************************************************

Hermione's POV

I travelled back to the living room, thinking about the possible new friend I had made. He seemed nicer than everyone made out. I decided to watch the CCTV footage from the Battle of New York, having been at Hogwarts during the attack. I zoomed in on Loki's face; his eyes were bright ocean blue. I paused at the sight. In the cell, his eyes were green. 

Something wasn't adding up.

Uncle Clint had said that when he was under the influence of the Sceptre, his eyes turned blue. So was it possible that Loki had also been controlled? And if so, by who?  I made a note to ask the team their opinion tomorrow. I was exhausted from all the excitement.

The next morning came early for me. I woke up, had a shower and joined Steve and Sam for a run. Steve being Steve, he had managed to overtake Sam at least 4 times in one lap, aggravating him further saying,  "On your left", every time he passed him.

 As Steve passed us for the 15th time in 10 minutes, Sam and I agreed to take a break; as we were gasping for breath and Steve was nearly done. About 3 minutes later, Steve came over, barely out of breath and looking as though he could 'do this all day', a catchphrase I had grown to loathe. We travelled back to the tower, needing a nice, warm shower. Once I'd dried off, I ate my uncle's famous chocolate-chip pancakes - my favourite breakfast, and began the day. 

Because of my relation to my uncle and the fact that both the wizarding and muggle world were becoming increasingly dangerous, I trained with Uncle Clint and Nat for an hour each, practising my close combat skills and weaponry. So far, I was able to fight with most guns, a bow and I was currently learning to fight with daggers.

After training, we gathered for lunch, and dispersed to carry on with our day. I decided to chill with Tony and Bruce, helping them with their various science projects and occasionally using magic to speed up the process. After about 3 hours of being in the lab, I went to go bring Loki some food and practise some magic.

When I got there, Loki was sitting in his armchair, as per usual, reading. Upon hearing me arrive, he looked up, nodded in greeting and put the book aside, making room for the plate of food. I entered the cell and put a turkey sandwich, a yogurt and some crisps down on the table. Instead of leaving the cell however, I summoned a chair and sat down, continuing with the Princess Bride as Loki ate his lunch. 

Vizzini had just kicked the bucket when Loki cleared his throat. I marked my place and looked at Loki, expecting him to tell me he was finished. But, to my great surprise, he stared at me, looking considerably nervous. A few awkward moments passed, and I decided to fill the silence. "So, I don't think we've been properly introduced. I'm Hermione Granger." I extended my hand, and he tentatively shook it.

"Loki Odinson. Thank you for the food, and your company. You've been nothing but kind to me. I don't deserve it. Not after all I've done." He looked ashamedly at his feet, waiting for me to rebuke him. He looked shocked however when I didn't. 

"I know what you've done and partly why you did it. But everyone deserves kindness and a second chance. " I smiled, picking up his plate and walking out of the cell. Instead of trekking up the long set of stairs for what must be the 5th time in 2 days, I decided to apparate up and down. I recieved my apparition license earlier than my peers, as in America, the legal minimum age was 15. It was an incredibly useful skill to have and saved me time and energy. Plus if I was lucky, I usually ended up making one of the team jump, which wasn't easy, especially with most of them being trained not to get jumpy, or just used to my antics.

 Good times. 

I smiled at the memory and apparated. Luck was on my side as Tony, Thor, Steve, Uncle Clint, Sam, Rhodey and Bruce were all in the kitchen when I appeared. I heard, to my amusement, two inhumanely high screams belonging to my uncle and Sam. Thor laughed, undisturbed by my sudden appearance. He'd obviously had experience and was used to it. Tony's reactor flickered a little and he glared at me as it went back to normal.

'Kid, you nearly gave me a heart attack! How are you here, anyway?" He said, still recovering from his 'near death experience'. 

I smirked, seizing the opportunity to annoy Tony even further. "I didn't think I would have to tell you that, Tony. When two people really like each other, they decide that-"

"Yeah okay, no one likes a smart ass. I meant, what are you doing, popping around like that in the kitchen? You in a hurry? Got a hot date or something?"

"Oh, just returning Loki's plate." At once, like a candle being extinguished, the light and cheerful mood of the room dropped. At the sound of his name, my uncle tensed, his carefree smile replaced by a scowl. Bruce's irises turned a shade of green and everyone else just looked plain miserable.

"WHAT? Why do you guys despise him so much?" I asked, exasperated at their reaction. 

He really wasn't that bad.

"Because he's a mass murderer and tried to invade the world!" My uncle yelled, now looking really cheesed off. 

I narrowed my eyes, my voice quiet. "Yes he did do that, but I suspect not willingly. Thor, what colour eyes does Loki have?"

"Um... Green, like an emerald."

Uncle Clint frowned, starting to piecing it together. "That can't be right. When he took control of my mind, his eyes were blue... He was mind controlled."

Silence lingered in the room, the startling discovery weighing down on everyone's shoulders. The Avengers all felt slightly guilty for how they had treated Loki, without even considering listening to his part of the story.

"But there is a way that we can make it up to him... you all need to apologise to Loki and take him out of the cell. He is innocent and should be treated like it, so he should get a room for the remainder of his sentence. Since I assume none of you are or will be willing to let him live on your floors, he can stay in mine. I'm hardly here nine months of the year." I offered, silently willing them to agree. 

They nodded their heads. I smiled, pleased with myself.

"Good, then it's decided. Meet back here in two hours and I'll apparate you all down." They mumbled their assent, dispersing. 

As they left the room, Uncle Clint called over his shoulder. "I better not see or hear any funny business though!" 

I chuckled softly, he was such a dad.

I apparated back, flustered at how long it had taken me to convince them. Loki lay on a bed up at the ceiling. He hadn't noticed me come back. I collected my things and moved to apparate away/ Just as I was about to disappear, he said so softly I wasn't sure if I had imagined it

"Thank you."

***************************************************************************************

Loki's POV:

After hearing her prove my innocence, I tuned out of their conversation and lay on my bed, stunned. She was so much more intelligent than I had imagined. I thought she was only being nice to get information out of me, but now I can see that it's just the kind of person she is. 

Maybe it wouldn't hurt to let her in...

Out of the corner of my eye I saw Hermione 'pop' into the cell and collected her things. But before she turned to go, I whispered, "Thank you."

She smiled and vanished out of sight. 

I sighed and massaged my head. 

This was going to take a lot of getting used to.