5.

***************************************************************************************

Chapter Five: Apparation and Apologies

***************************************************************************************

And so the day passed until it was time for the team to go apologise to Loki. Everyone was gathered in the meeting area, ready to go.

"OK, who hasn't apparated before?" I asked. 

Everyone except Thor put their hands up. 

"Okay, Uncle Clint and Aunt Nat, put your hands on my shoulders, everyone else hold on to one of them. Do NOT let go." 

 Once I was happy that everyone wouldn't end up in New Zealand or without a body part, I visualised Loki's cell and took a deep breath. The familiar feeling of being pushed through a tube passed and we landed with a large crash. Loki shot up, only half awake. I guess he must have been napping. 

Tony, Bruce, Sam and Rhodey looked as white as a sheet. I dropped a few jellybeans from my pocket and promptly transfigured them into 4 bowls. A few seconds later, we heard their lunch being brought back into the world. Steve looked a little green around the gills but was otherwise fine. Loki had just recovered from being rudely awakened and was now looking at us warily, as if we were going to send him to the gallows.

"Hey Loki, I'm sorry about the noise. I've brought some people who want to say something to you." I stepped away, giving Loki a full view of the uncomfortable looking Avengers. 

Bruce was still puking, but other than that, there was silence. 

He raised an eyebrow and waited expectantly.

After two or three minutes of uncomfortable silence, I grew frustrated and was about to threaten them with a magical prank war when Steve sheepishly stepped forward. 

"Look Loki, after seeing new evidence, it's come to light that you weren't in control of your actions. So... I guess what we are trying to say is... sorry, for blaming you when we only had half the story. We won't do that again. So, to prove it to you, you will no longer live here but in your own room. Hermione has graciously offered to share her floor with you. We are giving you a second chance. Don't screw it up."  He finished and walked over to the control unit. The barrier was disabled, and Loki strolled over, a gloating grin on his face. 

"The great Captain America, apologising to me? You must be sorry. I accept your apology and look forward to making amends." Satisfied with his acceptance, the Avengers talked amongst each other about dinner. Loki turned to me and walked over. "I am most grateful to you, Lady Granger, your kindness has not gone unappreciated." 

He took my hand and kissed my knuckle, a rather outdated gesture, but I wasn't about to tell him that. 

I smiled warmly. 

"Please, call me Hermione." 

***************************************************************************************

3rd Person POV:

The next day consisted of making Loki's room.

Since most of Loki's things were in Asgard and he was only able to teleport a few bits and bobs before he grew tired, the Avengers decided it would be easier to just decorate from scratch. They started with the walls, Hermione's magical ability coming in handy as she changed them to Loki's choice; forest green, gold and black, to no-one's surprise. 

Next came the furniture. Since Loki was an avid reader like Hermione, she took Loki shopping while the others put up bookshelves and other essential items. Stark gave them a credit card for them to use freely.

***************************************************************************************

Hermione's POV:

Happy drove us to the first of many bookshops and waited outside the shop. Since Loki was still wrongly blamed for the NYC incident, he created an illusion, so anyone that wasn't Happy or me would see a 16 year old boy that looked strangely like Harry without glasses or a scar.

The little shop bell chimed, announcing our entrance. The till attendant was reading a book and looked so hooked, we didn't want to disturb her.

Loki went looking through the books while I tried to figure out which genre would suit him the most. Since he was from Asgard, fantasy and classics might be more his thing. 

But what to choose... 

Ooh, Percy Jackson, definitely. 

'Inkheart' by Cornelia Funk was an amazing series, as well as 'The Gift' by Alison Croggson.

 A few volumes of Shakespeare, Dickens, Brontë and Austen never hurt anyone either. 

I paused, thinking of another recommendation when it dawned on me. 

OF COURSE! How could I have been so stupid?

'The Hobbit' and 'The Lord of the Rings' by J.R.R Tolkein. 

Perfect.

Gathering the many books I saw for Loki, I also picked up a few thrillers and murder mysteries for myself. Gotta love 'em. We quietly approached the till attendant, who was currently crying. As she looked up, she apologised and began to scan.

"Good book?" I asked politely. She showed the cover. 'The Fault In Our Stars' by John Green. A great book but a real tear-jerker. She nodded, tears still streaming down her face. 

"No matter how many times I read it, it still makes me cry." She sniffed out, scanning the last book. "OK ma'am, your total comes to $72 and 51 cents. Are you paying with cash or card today?"

"Card please." I replied. Holding our Tony's cars, I swiped across, waiting for a confirmation beep. 

"Here's your receipt, have a nice day." She whispered. I thanked her and together, me and Loki walked out of the shop. Loki looked at me strangely. 

"What?" I asked, surely he's seen a book before. 

"Nothing, it's just... what was that rectangular piece of plastic you used to pay the weeping worker in there?"

"Oh, this is called a credit card, instead of always paying with cash, you can send electronic money to the shop." 

Loki looked impressed. We reached Happy and put the newly purchased books into the boot of the car.

"Allons-y!" I cried, gesturing forward.