Chapter 30

Minju woke up the next morning starving.

I need to stop skipping meals...

Slowly, Minju slid out of bed, going through her morning routine before walking down the stairs.

We have school today... How is this going to work? Am I going to walk to school with him? I guess I could just go with what I said initially. If he doesn't come pick me up, then I'll walk alone.

Minju walked into the kitchen, finding some food already made with a note on the counter.

"We didn't want to wake you up, so we made you breakfast."

Minju smiled.

Thanks.

Minju plated her food, scarfing it down before pulling out the required ingredients for the sandwiches she planned on making for lunch. While preparing the sandwiches for Y/n and herself, Minju pulled out her phone.

He hasn't texted me that he's here. Maybe he did decide to walk to school without me.

As she closed her gate, Minju sighed. "I really hope this doesn't get awkward."

Once near school grounds, Minju felt a rush of anxiety hit her system, accompanied by a myriad of unthought thoughts.

Push through it Kim Minju. Remember, he's not mad at you. If you were to talk to him, he would talk back to you. Aish- That's not the problem. It's the actually talking to him part that's the problem.

The walk through the halls felt weird. It had only been a week since the two had befriended one another, yet it felt like she was missing her other half. Once she arrived at the classroom, Minju opened the door. Disappointment filled her chest as she saw Y/n's seat empty.

Maybe he's running late. Wait- Why am I disappointed? That means things will be easier for me. But I don't want him to miss school...

Time passed slowly for Minju as she waited for Y/n's arrival. Every time the door opened, Minju's eyes would dart to the entrance in hopes that her best friend would be the one entering.

Is he missing school today?

Both hope and sadness lingered in Minju's head as she watched the clock counting down the minutes before school started. Once the clock hit five minutes before the start of school, Minju spotted someone approaching her desk.

Ugh. What is Sung doing walking toward me?

"Is Y/n not coming to school today?"

"Why does that matter to you?"

"Because he never misses school. I remember he came to school bundled in a lot of clothes and a mask while extremely sick one day."

Suspicion spread across Minju's face.

"Why are you so worried about him?"

"Because I can infer that something happened. You arrived alone today, and look at the door each time it opens. Something must have happened."

"It's none of your business."

"Let's put the past aside for a second. Is he okay?"

"Again, why are you so worried about him? Weren't you antagonizing him earlier? What's your deal?"

"Because his presence helps keep the balance of the school now."

Minju furrowed her eyebrows, "What the fuck are you talking about?"

"The students know of what happened the day the police arrived at the school. People are afraid to do things in front of him. I'm not sure if you noticed it because you're so hyper-fixated on him, but we know he's dangerous. My gang talks about how they tremble in trepidation every time he passes. The same thing happens for the other gangs in this school. Haven't you wondered why all of the areas near his lunch spots are devoid of anyone? We know not to fuck with him, and fear what might happen if we did something bad in front of him or even pissed him off."