27. Holy Shit, it's Billy Kimber! •

The train station was busy. Vin made it her mission to protect Ada from anyone who could accidentally bump in to her, no matter that she aborting the baby, she was still pregnant. Vin had snuck out of John's bed that morning without waking him up. She didn't like lying to him, so she preferred avoiding him until it was done. She had left a note by the bedside table and told him she was going in to town with Polly and Ada, she doubted he would question it. They were a bit late for the train and Polly were leading them forward with quick steps. She was the one pushing them to go on, but Vin could tell she was worried from the way she constantly made sure that Ada was okay.

"...I think there is some more carriages over there that are gonna be empty" Polly spoke as the three women rounded the last corner. Vin suddenly halted and Ada and Polly were not far behind. Freddie Thorne stood there, hat on his head and cigarette in his hand. Ada looked a bit like she had seen a ghost, like she couldn't believe he was standing before her. "Jesus" Polly stated, "Freddie". Vin watched with big eyes, not really understanding what was going on.

As Freddie started taking a few step towards them Ada followed his lead. "You came back?" she asked, her voice a little shaky. Freddie walked closer to Ada and Vin could see how a smile was growing on his face.

"I got a tip-off" Freddie stated and reached for ada to embrace her.

"Freddie, Tommy will kill you." Polly said in a tense voice, clearly unnerved by the sudden change of events.

"It was Tommy who tipped me off. Maybe he's got half a heart after all." Freddie carried on without a worry in the world and Winifred released a breath she didn't even know she was holding, a smile finally growing onto her face as well. "Tommy got a message to me. It said 'get out of town, take her with you'" Freddie continued and the Vin could almost feel what was coming next, she started tapping her hand against her leg in anticipation.

"So..." He started again and shuffled to get down on one knee, smiles now lighting up all of their faces. " Ada Shelby... Will you marry me?" Vin looked to Ada with big excited eyes, she had already begun to tear up at the scene and had no doubt in her mind what Ada would answer.

"Yes. Yes!" Ada smiled and Freddie slid the ring onto her finger before standing up and embracing his now fiancé in a kiss. When they parted Ada turned to Vin and Polly, Vin now jumping of joy and the three of them squealed in delight before embracing each other tightly in celebration.

"Right" Polly started as the untangled and Vin and Polly grabbed one of Ada's arms each and started walking towards the train. "Get on that bloody train and get out of here!"

But Freddie didn't move.

"Come on, both of you" Polly started again as she looked back to Freddie.

"Freddie come on! Cardiff's okay! Anywhere but here is okay!" Ada exclaimed, a little stressed now seeing the train starting to get ready to leave.

"Ada..." Vin started, not getting a good feeling from all of this. She wanted to drag Ada on the train, with or without Freddie.

"We're not going anywhere, Ada" Freddie spoke in a calm voice and started moving towards her. "We are going to stay here, we are gonna marry here!" There was an awkward silence as the three women processed his words, each of them with different reactions. Polly looked wide eyed and concerned, Vin looked scared and Ada seemed to be in some sort of daze.

"I'm not afraid of Tommy Shelby" He spoke once more, this time meeting Polly's chilly eyes. He reached out to Ada and Vin wanted to yank her away from him, now absolutely terrified of what the future would store.

----

Since her plans had been cut short when Freddie showed up at the platform, Vin decided to head over to the Garrison and help out during the evening rush since she knew Grace would be managing the bar alone tonight. She felt like she needed to take her mind off things since she had not gotten the worrisome thought about Ada and Freddie out of her head, pouring pints of beer and managing drunk men would be a good distraction.  She got a little more than she had bargained for though, when she walked through the doors of her beloved pubs she was met by a chorus of very out of tune voices singing together. She stopped in the doorway for a second, shocked at the scene she had just walked into, they hadn't had singing in there since before the war. But then, slowly, a smile made its way onto her face and she started walking towards the bar, shaking her head at Grace who was busy filling a bucket of beer.