Chapter 18: A Talk

[AN: Hey guys! Here's some other great news. I'm going to write a small short story series. Now, I know what you're thinking. (At least I THINK you're thinking:) "But, you're already writing this book! And that other Science Fiction book you keep blabbing about! Why the heck are you writing more?"

Well, honestly, this is what happened. I am OBSESSED with YouTube. I LOVE people like Shane Dawson, PewDiePie, and SMOSH. (And more, but that's a long list.) But I recently watched this Smosh music video that gave me an idea for a book. So, I wrote a first chapter. Then, an idea popped into my head. Before I knew it, I was writing down plot lines for 4 other books!

So, the cover for the first book is on this chapter. What do you think?]

I'm struck with surprise as soon as I walk in. Empty. His covers are disheveled as if he got out of bed in a hurry. The window is open slightly, but other than that, the room is pretty much clean.

I look around and begin to think. If I were him, where would I put electronics? I stop and think about for a moment but-screw it! The guy's too unpredictable, there's no point in trying. Maybe I should-

"Ara?" I freeze in my tracks, not daring to turn around. But I know who it is.
"What are you doing in my room?" I hear the door shut and footsteps. He walks in front of me, with an unreadable expression.
"Well?"
"I..." OK. I can't tell the truth, but I can't lie either. So, what is there to say? Lying seems like a good option, though I hate to do it. Especially to him.
"I...was looking for you." I say, trying to get the lies out of me as soon as possible.
"Oh?" He raises his eyebrow at me questionably. With that, he folds his arms across his chest. "Why?"
"'Cause I needed to..." TO WHAT?! I try to think, but it's hard. He's starting at me intensely, almost like he's threatening me.
"...talk to you."

He suddenly drops his 'tough-guy' act and smiles at me. Almost like a real friend would.
"Oh, Ara that's great. I wanted to talk to you too."
"Really?" I ask. I can't believe he bought that.
"Yep. Something that happened that I need to bring you up to speed on. Also, there are...different things we need to talk about." I nod in agreement as we both take seats at a small table in the room.

"Look," He begins as he sits across from me. "You probably see this as unfair. But, we tried to train you. You were just stubborn."
"Stubborn?!" I exclaim, glaring at him. "Who are you calli-"
"SHH! People will hear you. Now, please listen. Batman just told me to tell you that. So, you're in this situation. I'm sorry, but you're going to have to live with it. If we can finish this job, then I'll talk to Batman myself about...letting you go."

I grin widely, suddenly overcome with joy.
"Really?" I ask excitedly. "You'd do that? For me?"
"Of course. I'd do anything for you."

That comment really strikes me. I really need to stop letting people's comments get to me. I mean, I'm not THAT bad looking, I guess. I'm not the smartest person in the world, but I'm pretty smart.
"I can see you mentally smiling." Robin remarks, sharing my smile.
I shrug in response, not really having an answer.

"Now, another thing. They move the stash of their drugs frequently. So, we currently don't have a clue as to where they are. Artermis is too full of pride and Megan is too...well...you know. Not that that it's a bad thing, it's just...you know?" I nod again, but I'm still slightly confused.
"So? What do you want me to do? Interrogate them?"
"Yeah. I mean, why not, right?"

I try to consider this. We know they're personalities. They'd probably respond better to a girl than a guy. And if no one else wants to do it, then I'll do it. Besides, it's about time I start to pick up my slack.

"Alright Robin. I'll do it."
"Wait wait wait. You'll just do it? Just like that?"
"Absolutely."
"But why?" I want to explain about how I'm a terrible person and that I'm going to try to be better, but I need to play it cool. So I shrug it off like it's no big deal.

"Sure. I mean, 'gotta earn my keep somehow, right?"
"That's fantastic." Robin smiles again, which kinda gives off an 'I'm proud of you' feel. Actually thinking about it, That sounds kinda dad-ish. Ew.

I stand and I'm about to leave, when he calls me back.
"Hey Ara. Wait just a sec." I sit back down, not really wanting to hear what he says next.
"Are you alright? You look like you haven't slept in ages."
"I'm fine."
"But you-"
"I'M. FINE." His smile disappears into a frustrated sigh.
"Whatever. But remember, I always tell you that if you need someone to talk to, I'm right here. Now, I'll swing by your room in the morning to brief you on your assignment. Oh, and Ara!" I've already gotten up. I'm at the door, when he says,
"Remember. What I told you."
"About the thing tomorrow?"
"No. I mean, yes. But no. I mean, you can trust me."