Chapter 1: Footprints

"Lived a wasteful life in a hateful city, there was no love just pain and pity 'til I found you."

-Britney Spears, Now That I Found You

A loud, muffled sound causes me to take off my headphones. My father barges into my room with a serious expression.

"Ara, get your things." I start to laugh.

"Dad, is this another practice-"

"Arabella," He snaps. "Get your things. Now." I hop off my bed and take out my backpack I had packed. I can hear the loud voice as my heart starts pounding. I quickly pack my phone fidgeting with the location settings so I can't be found. I also place my headphones inside as I run downstairs.

My father rushes into me, stuffing a sandwich into my bag. He cups my face into his hands and kisses my forehead.

"I love you, sweetie." He says, hot tears streaming down his face.

"I love you too." He pulls me into a tight embrace as I fight my tears.

"Remember," His voice is muffled. "We'll miss you." I shake my head.

"No, no. I'll come back." I hear the voice from outside again.

"THIS IS YOUR LAST WARING. SURRENDER YOUR DAUGHTER MR. AND MRS. ANDERSON AND NO HARM WILL COME TO YOU." Over my father's shoulder, I can see my other dad outside, trying to reason with them. Yes, your right. My parents are gay. I get bullied a lot because of it.

My father almost pushes me away.

"Go Ara, GO!" I take off down the hall, escaping through the back door and hopping over the fence of our small house.

I'm thinking they won't catch me. After a few minutes of running, I turn and see that I have been leaving icy footprints on the ground. I curse myself and keep running. I wish it didn't have to be this way. If only I were normal.

••••

I'm weak. People are looking at me with pity as if I'm some sort of run away. I stop, plug in my headphones and click on shuffle as I continue my run.

Music is so amazing. I don't know how else to put it in words. It connects with you. Empowers you. Makes you feel emotions that you didn't even know existed. Music has been an important part of my life since forever. It has driven me and it still inspires me.

All these people are drowned out by Paramore's powerful musical stylings.

"Don't try to take this from me, don't try to take this from me,"

It helps me go even faster than before. Even though I've been running, walking and jogging for almost an hour, I can't stop. Won't stop. No Mylie Cyrus puns intended.

"Lost the battle, win the war, I'm brining my sinking ship back to the shore,"

It's getting late and I need a place to stay.

••••

I blink. No time for self-pity. Let's think this through. Father wanted me to go find my Aunt Carol who lives in Metropolis. But, come on. Can I really run from New Jersey to New York? Who am I? The Flash, or Kid Flash? I sigh. I wish some kind of of stereotypical cat would come along. It would have to be hurt, just like I was. Or, am. Then, we'd survive together and be best friends.

Then as if on cue, a small black cat walks up to me. Wow, is the cliché true? The cat walks up to me and I go to pet it, but then it arches it's back, hisses and bites my finger. I recoil in shock. How dare it?! Furiously, I swipe my hand at the cat and it becomes encased in a block of ice. It looks shocked and I can tell it's suffocating.

"Oh no," I gasp as I sit back against the abandoned building. "No, no, no..." I'm such a freak! That cat is probably dead. I'm a cat murderer. Who will be next? A dog? A human?

As if it would do any good, I put my hand behind my back. But, as soon as I touch the wall, it becomes cold. I stand up and whirl around. From where I touched it, a beautiful layer of frost spirals out of control.

"What did I do?" I breathe. Then, the floor starts to shake. I know that I've done something incredibly bad.

I grab my backpack and run out of the building as it starts to fall onto a busy street. My heart races as I know I have to stop it. Some people gaze in horror as the building comes crumbling down. I raise my hand and create a large barrier of ice. It's a bright, well, clear colour. I mean, it is ice. It doesn't look like it will break any time soon, but a few people give me horrified looks. I hear a few,

"What is she?" And "How did she do that?" I try to explain myself, but realize it will be no use. So, I put my headphones back on and keep running.

••••

I hurry across the street, ignoring onlookers and trying to find the nearest Starbucks. My phone is dying and I need to charge it. Plus, I'm starting to run out of food and my dad gave me $200 dollars. Before anyone notices me, I rush into the washroom.

I set down my headphones on the sink and try to fix my appearance. Surprisingly, I don't look that bad. I take out a brush from my bag and take out my braided hair. It hurts a bit, from all the tangles. But I've been in worse pain. But, then it hits me and I gaze at myself, shocked. My hair has turned blonde. As in, more of a white blonde. I run my fingers through it, ruffle it and brush it again. How is this possible?

[A/N: Yay! First chapter com-plete. Hope your enjoying so far, even though it's so short. I'll try to make the chapters longer and bring in the actual Young Justiceness soon.]