Chapter 5: Brain Freeze/ Alone Again

"I'm, a, little bit on the edge, holed up, and out of reach. I, can't, hear much of what you said, to come, for me,"
-Lights, Heavy Rope

I've never had a brain freeze before. I'm not exactly sure what it does. But, I remember that I have given people bran freezes before. It puts them into so much pain in they're heads, that they faint.

I figured that the only way out of this place is through that circle thingey. I know that in order to pass through, I'd need to be recognized. Since I don't have a code to get in and out, I'll have to get someone to do it for me.

At first, I considered Wally. I thought about tricking him into opening the circle. But, then I realized that he would become instantly suspicious as I escaped. So, I thought that I'd bring in M'gann instead.

She seems like a nice enough person, and I really don't want to do that to her, but she would be the only one willing to come with me.

I thought about knocking her out, or giving her the 'brain freeze', as she slept, but it would be too hard to drag her all the way there. Plus, it would slow me down.

As quietly as I can, I place my hand on the doorknob, but it's locked. That doesn't surprise me. I keep my hand on the doorknob, and watch as my hand becomes encased in ice. It only hurts slightly, because obviously, ice is cold.

It travels forwards, freezing the knob. I hear a small click, and I know the door is open. The ice gradually vanishes, as I step outside into the dark hallway.

The walls are rock but the doors stand out, as sleek and white. M'gann told me her's was the door at the far end on the right, so I sneak over and knock on that door, preying that it's the right one. After a few seconds, I knock again. This time, she does answer.

She has her hair out like she regularly does, but it's much messier. She's wearing dark pink pyjama pants with a matching lighter pink tank and fuzzy pink slippers. She yawns tiredly.
"What is it, Ara?"
"Don't call me that." I snap. What am I doing? I think, as I shake my head. I have to be a lot nicer if she's going to take me. "I hate to bother you, but there's a bracelet that my dads gave me a long time ago. It has huge sentimental value but I left it in that hanger." She laughs weakly.
"That wasn't the hanger. That was merely a, um, garage. The hanger is where we keep my bio ship." That sounds like a living space ship. I think. But. That's not possible, right?

I pause, waiting for her to continue.
"So...will you take me?" She stretches and looks back at her bed.
"Mmm, can you get it in the morning?" She asks. "Batman doesn't let us roam around at night."
"Oh," I say, starring at the ground. "You know, I just thought that you would understand." I sigh heavily and start walking down the hall.
"W-wait," she says, as I turn around. "I'll...take you. But, please get it fast."

••••

It's so hollow and sad at night. I remember when I first entered this place. It was so full of life, with computers buzzing and everyone all lively and ready. They could be really great friends-

No. Stupid, stupid thoughts. I can't get close to anyone. I'll just hurt them. Or worse. Besides, once they get to know me, they'll probably hate me. Everyone does. This place is for people with amazing gifts who use them to help people. All I am is cursed. And can't stop hurting people.

I look over my shoulder and see her walking behind me. Thank God, I was beginning to think she had ditched me.
"Still here," she assures me, smiling weakly. After what seems like forever, we arrive at the teleporter-thing.
"Is this, like, a Stargate?" I ask as she laughs, but then yawns.
"Let's just go." Will anyone just answer my questions?
She pulls me through the Circle.

••••

I stop, panting. I'm glad that I was able to grab my backpack and change before I left.

I've found another small, abandoned building. It's a brick apartment with rats, roaches and all kinda of disgusting things. I wrinkle my nose as I step on and squish a roach under my sneaker. I hate those things.

I sit against a wall and put on my headphones. Always better than earbuds. I then search through my backpack, looking for something to snack on, and come up with a granola bar. After finding nothing else, I curse and shove my backpack away from me. But, hunger overrules me and I quickly unravel the bar and shove it into my mouth angrily.

I need to get my priorities in order. It's been two days that I've escaped from that place, and I don't intended on going back. I'm pretty sure they wouldn't let me go back anyway.

I'm sure Batman would kill me. I'm sure he will kill me for betraying his team of pathetic sidekicks A.K.A teens looking for a cheap and dangerous thrill. The media's wrong. I've met him. He kills. I'm sure Robin does too, since he's his protégée. Batman has never talked to the press, neither has the Boy Wonder, but still. Them not killing? I don't buy that sh-

I hear a small squeaking sound as a rat starts running up to me. It's small red eyes, chewed and crinkly ears and small, tattered body looks completely disgusting. I squeal, my adrenaline increasing as I bounce up. It's just a rat, I tell myself. A disgusting, sewage-living, greasy, gross rat. It's not gonna kill you. I catch my breath and breathe. It'll just scurry away. But, it keeps running towards me. I throw my hand out and concentrate, as a flurry of ice shoots out, encasing the rat in a solid block of ice.
"Get your own food," I tell it, even though it can't hear and is suffocating. I sit back down and begun eating. Geez, if I'm afraid of rats, then I'm a horrible pick for a crime-fighting team.

Food is going to become a problem, since I only have fifty dollars left.
Thankfully, I have enough water to maybe last a week tops.

I remember collecting all my survival skills from running away so many times in the past, but I always came back home after a few days.

But, look at me now. No home. No friends. No family. I am truly and entirely alone once again.

[A/N: I know this is completely random, but I had a sundae earlier at this ice cream place called Demetres and the sundae's name was 'Just Hold On, We're Going Cone'. In the description, it said, 'It's good ice cream and you know it,' They also have a sundae called Katy Berry, a milkshake called John Lemon and the entire sundae section is called 'Game of Cones'. Man, I love that place!

Sorry for the randomness...

Ps, WHY DID LITTLE MIX HAVE TO CANCLE THEY'RE TOUR!!! :(]